• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 10:24:22 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Braggot recipe

Started by Pheeel, January 19, 2016, 09:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheeel

Friend of mine is moving to the States in the summer. We agreed i'd brew her a braggot before she goea. Aiming for something around 5-6%. Does anyone have a good recipe?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

GlasbrewInc

Hi Pheel,

Here is one I was going convert to all grain and try....

Braggot Recipe

1.4 lb honey
0.6 lb dry malt extract
Water to 1 gallon
(5 grams juniper berries)
71B yeast is what i used
Yeast nutrient

Bring a third of the water to a boil, add half of the dry malt extract.
Stir gently and continue the boil for 20 mins then add the rest of the DME.
Boil for an additional 20 min
Boil juniper berries in a hops bag for the last 10 minutes and then remove from heat.
At this time, you are going to want to fill a sink with ice and as cold of water as you can get.
Pour your wort into your bucket to ice bath in the sink to cool it.
Add the honey once it is around 60 degrees and stir it in nicely without boiling it.
Once it is all mixed together and fairly cool, pour into your carboy and top up to a gallon with cool water.
Shake it up vigorously to mix honey with your added water.
Take a gravity reading once the temp has dropped
Finally, once it is appropriate temperature, pitch your yeast!

Pheeel

Yenren

Hi, heres a great article on current mead making techniques http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html
The most important thing to take from it is SNA stagared nuitrent additions, providing the yeast with exactly what it needs when it needs it, producing a very clean fermentation hence drinkable sooner.
Here is the website of the guy who wrote the article https://denardbrewing.com/ He is the inventor of BOMM. Brays one month mead. I have made a few of these and they are really drinkable in one month but the start coming into there own after 3 months and keep getting better not that any of mine have lasted more than 3 months :P 
Here a few bits of info I learned along the way. He uses Wyeast 1388 I think you can get it at Get er Brewed. but you can substitute it with Danstar Abby Ale or CBD, I have used both or these and they work great.
For nutrients I used Tronozymol yeast nutrient and energizer, follow the instructions and divide the amount needed by the number of SNA staggered nutrient additions. Potassium carbonate is sold as acid reduction solution on the homebrewcompany page in the Ingredients/Additives/Steriliser section the tronozymol is there too.
If you are looking for raw honey at a good price try this guy http://www.adverts.ie/other-farming/raw-honey/8390372 sound fella, he will give you a discount on bulk
I just noticed you are doing a  low alcohol mead, you dont really have to do a SNA with this just give it all up front.
I hope some of this makes sense, if not im happy to answer any questions 

Pheeel