• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 06:57:36 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thursday, 31st March

Started by Bubbles, March 04, 2016, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bachus

1. Bubbles - American Pale/Cream Ale, Brett saison
2. Lurchalicious - beligian pale ale/ thing (viking malt beer)
3. Shanna - Brewferm Diabolo kit brewed with loads of water to hit 4% Pilsner style. Very young American Amber Ale.
4. Molc - English Porter, American Amber (last bottle!)
5. CC- Stout
6. Brewtus - maybe saison and ESB
7. JohnC - Pilsner and Vienna Lager
8. Craiclad - Munich Helles, Hefeweizen, Galaxy SMaSH
9. bachus - dry mead/sweet mead

I will late 15 minutes, sorry.
Dominik (bachus)

Shanna

Great meet last night, nice to see you again Bruce & cheers for the pastais :) Molc trying out what you mentioned RE fermenter temps last night on my current Weissbier/Witbier. If you not mind sending me on a sample recipe with the hop additions & temperature ramps that would be great. Head is a bit groggy after all the different beer styles. Stand out beer for me was Conor's "accidental" Bret beer, tasted like sherbert to me, loverly stuff.

Best moment of the night was Bruce unintentionally touching the bottle cage on Conor's first attempt at a corked beer. The slightest touch on the wire of the cage & it snapped leaving Conor scrambling to stop the cork firing off, priceless :)
Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

Quote from: Shanna on April 01, 2016, 07:44:27 AM
Great meet last night, nice to see you again Bruce & cheers for the pastais :) Molc trying out what you mentioned RE fermenter temps last night on my current Weissbier/Witbier. If you not mind sending me on a sample recipe with the hop additions & temperature ramps that would be great. Head is a bit groggy after all the different beer styles. Stand out beer for me was Conor's "accidental" Bret beer, tasted like sherbert to me, loverly stuff.

Best moment of the night was Bruce unintentionally touching the bottle cage on Conor's first attempt at a corked beer. The slightest touch on the wire of the cage & it snapped leaving Conor scrambling to stop the cork firing off, priceless :)
Shanna

Head is sore this morning too.. Great night, the standard was so good last night, standouts too numerous to mention!

The cork popping was funny, an all too rare comedy moment at a home brew meet.  ;D

A satisfying 'pop' when the cork came out, but I really was expecting a gusher. Phew...  8)

molc

Yeah great standard last night - some really subtle beers in there with a lovely blend of flavours. I really enjoyed the brett and also the london porter - both cracking beers.

@Shanna, for WLP001, 5 days @ 20.5, to control esters, 2 day ramp to 23 and hold for 3 days to ensure complete fermentation. Then dry hop, 3 days @23, then 2 day ramp to ~4C, adding gelatin at 7C and leaving 24 hours before kegging. If the dry hop is too grassy, then next time I'll ramp down to 11C and then do the 5 day dryhop, but we'll see.

Also, here's a graph, showing exactly what happened. It's probably easier to follow than what's above. As an aside, I logged onto my Brewpi to get this the fridge, turned off, has a temperature swing of ~3C each day in the house! Could you imagine a fermentation in those conditions...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

CC

hats off all round last night lads....
brett beer a whole new taste sensation for me in a very pleasing way... really educated my palate with the comparison between molc's young amber and old amber- building a mental profile of how those flavours develop/mellow/intermingle over time to get to their optimum....

lurchalicious' undefinable belgian was one i loved- all the flavour profiles of a classic belgian ale but at a more sessionable abv- for me that's a great idea but not sure where it would enter a competition!

again i loved bachus' meads... the potential for development of the young sweeter version is awesome- and what about, dare i say it... blended mead???

some very imaginative and well executed beverages all round i'd say

Lurchalicious

Quote from: CC on April 01, 2016, 01:28:28 PM
hats off all round last night lads....
brett beer a whole new taste sensation for me in a very pleasing way... really educated my palate with the comparison between molc's young amber and old amber- building a mental profile of how those flavours develop/mellow/intermingle over time to get to their optimum....

lurchalicious' undefinable belgian was one i loved- all the flavour profiles of a classic belgian ale but at a more sessionable abv- for me that's a great idea but not sure where it would enter a competition!

again i loved bachus' meads... the potential for development of the young sweeter version is awesome- and what about, dare i say it... blended mead???

some very imaginative and well executed beverages all round i'd say
Cheers for that man!  Perhaps next month it shall develop further!

bachus

Thanks guys, great night and the big hangover ;-)
@CC great advice! I need to try to made a mead blend :-)
Dominik (bachus)