• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 01:24:50 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brew day costings

Started by nigel_c, January 15, 2013, 12:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

Has anyone ever worked out the cost of a brew day? Say a 23l batch with a 2 Argos kettle boiler ? Would be interested to see how it adds up. AT the moment water charges do not apply but that will add a bit extra onto the bottom line some day. Just starting a brew now and it got me thinking.

DEMPSEY

Hey Nigel,there a job for you to do. You have being a prolific brewer and would be perfect to do a costing. It would be your first article for the homepage. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Rossa

I think it's roughly 18c a kw. running a kettle of 2.5kw for say 2 hours is 2*2.5 = 5*18= 90c

grain at €1 a kg = 5
yeast New dried = 3
Hops ~3

suppose 12€ at most. reuse yeast and it'll be less than €10
24c per .5l for 25l. That is probably on the higher side. Does that sound right?

Hop Bomb

QuoteAT the moment water charges do not apply but that will add a bit extra onto the bottom line some day.

I was just thinking that last night. Im thinking of collecting my worth chiller run off & using that for future brew days. Has anyone else done this? Im thinking one of those large blue barrels with a tap on it. Ive got a 12v pump which would make transferring it a lot quicker.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Ciderhead

I use initial hot water from chiller to wash everything.
some recirculate through ice buckets, loads of hb tubs with ice blocks from the freezer.
Mine flows at 9L per minute

Ciderhead

January 15, 2013, 05:24:01 PM #5 Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:25:37 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteI think it's roughly 18c a kw. running a kettle of 2.5kw for say 2 hours is 2*2.5 = 5*18= 90c

grain at €1 a kg = 5
yeast New dried = 3
Hops ~3

suppose 12€ at most. reuse yeast and it'll be less than €10
24c per .5l for 25l. That is probably on the higher side. Does that sound right?

I punch in ingredients costs in inventory in Beersmith, it tells me exact costs and I also deduct those volumes automatically from inventory when I run a brew :)
liquid yeasts brews run between 18 and 25 depending on grains and more expensive hops
Not plugged in most recent grain or hop buys, will it halve ;D