• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 11:20:43 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Guide to Lagering??

Started by mcgrath, November 02, 2012, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgrath

Anyone got a good guide to lagering? I have a pils in the fridge for the last 3 weeks at 10degC. Not sure what to do next.

Spud395

November 02, 2012, 10:55:02 PM #1 Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:33:38 PM by Spud395
Temperature is key to lagering, the lower the temp the shorter the time needed (relatively speeking)

-2 I've read is the ideal temp to lager at.
At this temp a short lagering period (days) works well.

This is all theory and I now distance myself from all things Lager  :o(sorry mcgrath not aimed at you at all)
Non modo......sed etiam

MAF

Definitely drop the temp more if you can; down to 3C or below.

Ciderhead

November 03, 2012, 12:37:17 AM #3 Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:42:37 AM by Ciderhead
QuoteAnyone got a good guide to lagering? I have a pils in the fridge for the last 3 weeks at 10degC. Not sure what to do next.

I posted this on B the other day
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Fermenting_Lagers
For me its 10days to 2 weeks at 10 C
2 Days Diacetyl "rest" at 16 C and then into secondary over 30 Days 14 down to 2 C
Its a pain to do but well worth it :)

Ciderhead

QuoteDepends on your yeast but some of them (WLP830) don't need a diacetyl rest.

Where did you read that? I have always done it for min 48hrs and never had a problem, not sure I am brave enough to skip :)

Ciderhead

Ok some more reading on the net reveal the D-resters and the Don't resters
The D-resters seem to be the generic lager brewers guidance forums and the sellers of the yeast( not manufacturers)and a d-rest is certainly important for some strains

The don't resters are the folks that have forgotten or who have never bothered.
I was even reading about d-rests 2/3 the way through fermentation, the theory being you give it that little kick on towards the finish before cold crashing

For this WLP830 strain the consensus from homebrewers was taste it, no Diacetyl no rest, which makes the most sense of all :D

Spud395

Quotebut the consensus was that WLP830 doesn't generate diacetyl.
To be padentic about it no yeast does.
Yeast produce acetolactate which chemicaly breaks down into diacetyl  :o

Sorry but I noticed biertourist wasnt around  ;D
Non modo......sed etiam

Ciderhead

Quotebut the consensus was that WLP830 doesn't generate diacetyl.
To be padentic about it no yeast does.
Yeast produce acetolactate which chemicaly breaks down into diacetyl   :o

You notice i didn't mention Valine either  :o
I always like to cut out the middle men   ;D

mcgrath

Thanks lads. I'm doing one of the HBC allgrain kits. it came with 2 packets of brewferm lager yeast. instructions were to ferment at 10degC for minimum 4 weeks. I'm gonna bring it up to 16 degrees for 3 days. pop it into secondary then drop it down as low as the fridge will bring it. i wont be able to do the gradual temp drops though because i dont live where i ferment at the mo. so hopefully it will be fine.