• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 11:13:15 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Summer session club roll call

Started by Rossa, May 03, 2014, 03:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

nigel_c

Crikey. Looks like I came last. Must check the other bottles because the kegged beer went down well.
AH well.
Fair play to all involved.

Shanna

Hi there

First off thanks to judges and organisers for a job well done and congratulations to the winners. Unfortunately I could not attend due to prior family commitments. As I am not aufait with the running of the competition I would appreciate if somebody could answer my queries.

Have read through the score sheets and was wondering how the different beers were grouped and then judged to determine which beers went forward to best of show? On first glance my score was good but it's not entirely clear to me why it was not good enough.

Also is it possible for the judges to read their comments from my score sheets and confirm what they wrote for my beer as I found some of the writing illegible :)

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

markc

Balls!!

Great feedback from the judges, but, it certainly wasn't supposed to have brett jumping around in there. It wasn't there in the initial round and until the end of the keg, so, it must have been from the bottles I put the last of the keg into. I think they where the bottles that had a bretty berliner in that I had to dump because of too much Ethyl Acetate rendering it undrinkable. Lesson learned, be more scrupulous with hygiene, particularly after brett, which in fairness I am, separate cold side equipment for sours, but, didn't consider the bottles!!

Bren, your Passion Fruit beer sounds amazing, great score with 49!

Mark

Dr Horrible

Agree - good feedback from the judges, much appreciated.  I thought it was interesting to see the preference was mostly for beers on the sour side, which I wouldn't have thought was necessary for a summer beer, but then I wasn't doing the tasting.   
I had originally intended to submit a rhubarb weiss - I brewed a normal weiss then split it and added rhubarb to one part.  When I tasted it though, I thought it was too tart so went with the base beer instead, and the main criticism was that it was too sweet, so maybe I entered the wrong beer!  Think I might have another go at that recipe, might have it right for next year - maybe.

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Shanna on July 02, 2014, 07:07:00 PM
Hi there

First off thanks to judges and organisers for a job well done and congratulations to the winners. Unfortunately I could not attend due to prior family commitments. As I am not aufait with the running of the competition I would appreciate if somebody could answer my queries.

Have read through the score sheets and was wondering how the different beers were grouped and then judged to determine which beers went forward to best of show? On first glance my score was good but it's not entirely clear to me why it was not good enough.

Also is it possible for the judges to read their comments from my score sheets and confirm what they wrote for my beer as I found some of the writing illegible :)

Shanna

The beers were split between two pairs of judges where each pair judged approximately 10 beers. The top three beers from each pair were selected to go through to the best of show. A tie for 3rd meant that 4 beers went though from the group of beers in which yours was judged. The top scoring beers qualifying for best of show in that group got scores of 96, 92, 85, 85 so that should give you a good idea where you came which was very high by BJCP standards but the quality of beer in this competition was very high so the competition between beers was very tough!
Brew Log

Will_D

So my 69 was pretty good.

Had a chuckle at one of the comments:

"A bit too much body " !! Not bad for 2.5% beer

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shanna

Quote from: shiny on July 03, 2014, 06:26:01 PM
Quote from: Shanna on July 02, 2014, 07:07:00 PM
Hi there

Shanna

The beers were split between two pairs of judges where each pair judged approximately 10 beers. The top three beers from each pair were selected to go through to the best of show. A tie for 3rd meant that 4 beers went though from the group of beers in which yours was judged. The top scoring beers qualifying for best of show in that group got scores of 96, 92, 85, 85 so that should give you a good idea where you came which was very high by BJCP standards but the quality of beer in this competition was very high so the competition between beers was very tough!
So I understand that the other group had a lower scoring relevant to each other as judged by those judges in the other group. So even though I scored higher than others in the other group it was not enough to get me out of my group. No guarantees that if I was in the other group that I would have the same high score.

Thanks for the clarification.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shane Phelan

Yeah the other groups score was on average lower but it was consistently lower. So if you were in the other group you would have got a lower score and placed similarly.
Brew Log