• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 07:53:01 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewing calculators/software

Started by rollout, February 15, 2013, 07:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollout

What brewing software or online recipe applications do people use?

How accurate do people find them? Do you find differences between the results?

I had used Hopville's Beer Calculus to do up a couple of recipes but happened to see today that the IBU calculations were very different to other IBU calculators online. For example:

30g Centennial 13.5% for 60 mins on Hopville = 77.4
The same on (for a random example) rooftop brew = 51.3

both using the tinseth formula.

Also, what formula do commercial brewers calculate their IBU figure from?

Ciderhead

February 15, 2013, 11:09:38 PM #1 Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:11:27 PM by Ciderhead
Beersmith 2 gives you drop down option of Tinseth, Rager or Garetz
What about storage temp, how well vac sealed, etc etc

JimmyM

Im not one for gzillions of numbers and formulae - I use beer engine (some guy on Jims beerkit is responsible for it i think).
Its good for beginners or people who dont want to get too bogged down in numbers, I think.

Prob no use to you rollout, Im just mentioning it incase someone starting out decides to read this.
Formerly JamesM.

rollout

February 16, 2013, 12:27:31 AM #3 Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:38:39 AM by rollout
Well i'm only a beginner myself so was using the hopville calc to make sure I wasn't destroying a brew or having my face implode with bitterness!. But there is a difference of 50% in those figures. I just thought it was odd, the discrepency.

Ciderhead

February 16, 2013, 12:37:13 AM #4 Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:38:34 AM by Ciderhead
I have a friend who measures his 5 gallon hop additions by the handful :o
To me I know 50 is my number. I went mad a month ago and used 55g of cascade.
I regularly mess about with timings and quantities with my later additions and it manifests itself on the bitterness bar in Beersmith but not my early ones :)

Cathal O D

QuoteIm not one for gzillions of numbers and formulae - I use beer engine (some guy on Jims beerkit is responsible for it i think).
Its good for beginners or people who dont want to get too bogged down in numbers, I think.

Prob no use to you rollout, Im just mentioning it incase someone starting out decides to read this.

I use beer engine as well and find it handy enough. Ive been thinking of loking at others to compare though.

richieh

brewtarget has everything you need, it's free, open source, and available on all platforms. I use it on the pc sometimes, but lately I've been using a little android app on my tablet called BrewR. it's simple but fine.

LordEoin

Pat_buttercups

Pulling back an old Item XD
Was curious about the brewing software what people thought about the online tools for making and sharing recipes Ive been checking brewToad recently for recipe ideas and ran across this one http://brewgr.com/ that seems similar create recipes and share them idea.
So what do people think of these social brewing sites?

Jacob

From time to time using BeerTools (http://beertools.com/)
This is my place to go when I'm brewing new beer style for the first time.

molc

I just use beersmoth for everything. Spent the last few days getting carried away tweaking the colour of my next brews in it. :) there's an option for everything I can think of inside.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

I use beersmith too. Its amazing. Even from the start I found it very accurate. I love how easy it is to change up recipes on it and allow for the values of your own inventory, etc For $20 its one of the cheapest and most useful tools I've bought for brewing. I tend to play around with it most days.