• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 01:57:41 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lager Carbonation Issues

Started by cpb, September 10, 2014, 03:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpb

Hey All,
I've a lager thats been in the bottle for the last 6 weeks and it seems its not fully carbonated.
I used some beer finings to clear it up a bit and I know they can extend the length of time it takes to carbonate.
But I thought it would be done by now.

Someone had suggested shaking the bottles but I'm sure that would effect the clarity of the beer.

Does anyone have any suggestions, should I just hold tight or ditch it?
Thanks,
C

Tom

Don't ditch it yet.

How much sugar did you use to prime, and how long did you lager for, and what yeast did you use?

Garry

What temperature are the bottles at?

alealex

Shake the bottles (I know, some would say it'll oxidise the beer), bring the temp up if needed.
It will destroy clarity but few more weeks after carbonation will sort that out.
Don't ditch, you can always consume as still lager  ;)
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

cpb

Thanks for all of the replies guys.
@Tom I used 90 grams of dextrose for about 22 litres. It was lagering for about 8 weeks. I used a dried lager yeast which I rehydrated before adding it to the beer. I can't remember what brand it was. I got it as part of a home brew company all grain kit.

@Garry the bottles are at about 15-18 degrees.

@alealex I might shake up a few of them and see how that goes.

Gugs44

I'm brewing same lager today myself, first lager to be honest, I've been reading up a good bit on the saflager 23 yeast and some say lager it and some say don't...I rang HBC and they said to bottle it after 2 weeks but on the instructions it says to lager for 4 weeks!!!! I was gonna primary ferment at around 10c for 7-10 days then bring inside house for 24-36 hours for diacytel rest then lager after that for maybe 4 weeks, I'm afraid that will there be enough active yeast to carbonate the bottles after the 4 weeks cooling??

Pls pls pls any advice

Thanks

Gugs44

Cheers Dube

So basically after bottling I can do the lagering at that stage?? No need for the 4 weeks in the FV in the fridge?

Gugs44

One more question and then I'm done, after the fermentation will I bring it in doors for the Diacytel rest for 24 hours before bottling, they say this is needed to avoid buttery flavours that aren't good in lagers

nigel_c

I find it takes longer than 24 hrs for diacetyl rest. A bucket sitting at 10c is going to take a fair few hours to reach room temp. I normally do a 2-3 day rest. Some yeasts are different and require more or less of a rest. Plenty of research and a bit of experimenting is the way to go.

Gugs44

Thanks Nigel

Seems to be the only way to go, research is just so confusing regarding the lagering process and the yeast I was given, I'm gonna set my fridge at 9c coz that's the lower range of the yeast and leave for 3 weeks, il then bring in and leave close to stove until D rest is sufficient and bottle, then il lager after that once carbonation is good enough

If it's wrong then il know next time, thanks again

DEMPSEY

One more thing on the amount of yeast you have. Cold fermentation means you need more yeast than warmer ferments.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Gugs44

Agh bo#*+x, I've only got one sachet 11.5g, should I ferment higher so out in the shed at air temperature at the moment??? Getting towards end of boil now...I was just gonna rehydrate with water/wort and pitch at about 10c

Gugs44

Day saved, same yeast in with the pilsner so I can use two of them

DEMPSEY

Some strains like English Ale ones can produce more diacetyl and high flocculent  yeasts settle out quickly during fermentation and so may need rousing. Poor oxygen levels at the start of fermentation and too much dissolved oxygen at the end of fermentation can be issues. A low yeast pitch and a higher temp for the yeast strain being used are others. Unhealthy yeast and a wort low in free amino acids are more.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us