• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 08:24:13 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The story in Cork, like?

Started by ubermick, May 08, 2015, 11:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubermick

Alright feens

Rather happily came across these forums while doing some research on a BrewPi project. Delighted to see there's some sort of brewing scene back home. Am a reformed norrie, now living in California, fat and happy with a setup put together over a few years. But often get tempted to leave it behind and hop on the plane. (Well, would bring the wife and kid too, I suppose).

Interested to know the differences between brewing there and here. No clue what the story is with ingredients there - expensive out here if you get them from a small shop ($1.50-$2.00 a pound for grains, utter lunacy for hops) but deals can be had from online places or buying grains in sacks. Is there a homebrew shop in Cork at all? (Have a buddy who's a beer aficionado as well who I'm going to attempt to shove in yere direction!)
Proud and demented Corkonian now living in California.

Shaun

:D Hi nice to meet you
It can be dear here too however a god way to cost cut is to group buy ingredients with your local club. Saves a damn fortune!

johnrm

Brewing is brewing, a few differences in weights and measures, but the rest is the same.
Get yer mate to jump on here and start yapping, there's occasional demos so he's welcome to come along. As for homebrew stores, there's natural choice upstairs in Paul street, other than that it's 2 day delivery (sometimes next day) from the local online stores.

ubermick

Quote from: johnrm on May 09, 2015, 12:10:03 AM
Brewing is brewing, a few differences in weights and measures, but the rest is the same.

Don't get me started - took me years to get used to dealing with odd American imperial stuff. Now I'm at the point where I'm used to it, so kilos and centigrade takes me a minute.

I've already pinged him the link, he's out around Passage West but if he could be convinced that Chieftan can be cloned, he'll have a full Blichmann setup within a fortnight. (Actually would see him going electric, run on a linux box). So if a fella called hazbot appears, start twisting his arm.

Shaun

Good beer is good beer :D. I'd love a Blichmann setup but I have no complaints with my current :D. I find brewing awesome including all the awful bits like bottling :D

ubermick

Quote from: Shaun on May 09, 2015, 12:57:38 AM
Good beer is good beer :D. I'd love a Blichmann setup but I have no complaints with my current :D. I find brewing awesome including all the awful bits like bottling :D

BOTTLING? A buddy of mine, and also my brewing mentor, said to me years ago - "Brewing is 10% making beer, 90% janitorial work." Truer words never spoken!

I moved to a Brutus 10 setup a few years back, and switched to kegging at the same time. Life changing experience. The wife bought me a Morebeer conical a couple of Christmases ago, and that one put me over the edge. It's like everything else though, all the goodies in the world count for nothing in brewing unless you know what you're doing.

Shaun

Haha. I've actually moved to kegs just this week. Looking forward to it! No more hours filling bottles!! Well not as much! Don't think I'll miss it too much :D

DEMPSEY

Hello ubermick, like the way you talk even though its you writing it. Ye seem to me like you have the Irish personality that can the yanks enjoying and being perplexed all at the same time. >:D.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

ubermick

Haha, cheers Demps. Yeah, the Yanks find it oddly confusing at times to be fair. Although to be equally fair, I probably find them even more so.

The downside to me jumping into these forums, by the way, is that now I'm absolutely GAGGING for a batterburger supper, from Tasty Snacks up in Gurraunabraher...