• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 06:09:15 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Am I ok???

Started by Gugs44, September 22, 2015, 09:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugs44

Alright Folks,

Was brewing this evening and all going well, mash done and up on stove for boil until the council turned off the water until tomorrow so hence I couldn't do my finished boil as couldn't use my chiller and cold water.... I took it off the stove at 75c and plan to boil tomorrow when water back on....will my wort still be ok??

Thanks

Eoin

Bring it to a boil then take it off the heat immediately and put the lid on securely. It should be fine until morning. Give it a good vigorous boil then for DMS.

Gugs44

I didn't bring it to boil, I just took it off at 75c and plan a 90min boil tomorrow as its an American Pilsner, I'm hoping the wort is fine overnight, the lid is on and resting on the stove top until tomorrow boil

Drum

It should be ok as long as you cover it like Eoin said. You've essentially got a batch of pasteurised wort as long as it was at 75C for a few minutes. Bringing it up to boiling would help aswell tho.  And +1 on the vigourous boil to get rid of DMS

Gugs44

It smells, tastes and looks fine this morning so it's back on the heat for the boil, read loads after that about sourness but I may have got away with it
Thanks

Eoin

Quote from: Gugs44 on September 23, 2015, 10:06:32 AM
It smells, tastes and looks fine this morning so it's back on the heat for the boil, read loads after that about sourness but I may have got away with it
Thanks

It went to bed hot and covered, don't worry, nothing could really have started in that time from that starting point....the boil will kill anything that might have developed in that short window.