• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 05:45:08 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Juicing Hops

Started by Chris, July 19, 2013, 07:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I was using my juicer today to get rid of a pile of overripe fruit. I was wondering if anyone has tried juicing hops before and what do you think the results would be like?
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

JoeyD

Im pretty sure that its the oils that you want from the hops and they have to be extracted.  Squeezing or juicing is just going to get minimal amounts of oil.  Alcohol extraction would probably do it?

imark

Interesting idea but I suspect they wouldn't have enough water content to work in your juicer. I don't have a juicer so don't know if it would work. If you tried and it didn't work I'd imagine you could still use the hop pulp though so I'd have a go if I was you. Just make sure you're ready to brew the day you experiment.

Jacob

Quote from: JoeyD on July 19, 2013, 07:29:59 PM
Alcohol extraction would probably do it?
I remember that someone made 'cascade' vodka and got positive feedback from all the tasters :P
Would love to try some...

Will_D

Quote from: Chris on July 19, 2013, 07:16:54 PM
I was using my juicer today to get rid of a pile of overripe fruit. I was wondering if anyone has tried juicing hops before and what do you think the results would be like?

If you did extract any oils they would head/attack any plastic bits of the juicer they could find. It would be a nightmare to clean - suggest don;t even try.

Instead make a hop tea or a vodka infusiuon
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Stitch

I did a beer a while back with soaking cascade hops in vodka. Only used bittering hops in the boils and flavour and aroma came from the cascade vodka. Was very good brought it to a Beoir meetup about year and a half ago. If you were going to blend the hops I would soak in water at about 70degC first then blend. I have read this before and as far as I  remember about 1 cup of 70DegC water to 100g of Hops.

On a side note the cascade vodka can turn a keg of beer you are not happy with into something a lot better!! :)

Greg2013

How much hops to the bottle of vodka did you use Stitch etc ? Sounds like a great idea.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Stitch

Deadman I had 100g of hops. Placed into small French press. Covered with Vodka (cheap stuff is the best as you want something that is bitter anyway so lidl or aldi your only man). Then rinse with water. The whole lot into 1 litre bottle. Freeze for 24 hours. First runnings the best second runnings no as good but still not bad. Full details here

http://stempski.com/hop_vodka.php

I used the hops that I took from french pressure for bittering as they were not boiler. (BTW this is from Bob Stempski)

mr hoppy

Sorry to go off topic but how has any body found hop teas? I'm thinking of making a mock oud bruin pitching a mix of S-33 and wlp677 into the primary which should give me some nice sourness but the catch is that the lacto won't do it's thing with more than 5 IBUs whereas I'd be targeting maybe 20 IBUs.

I was thinking of making a hop tea with wort and using it to prime the bottles after secondary, but I've seen a lot of comments on the web to the effect that hop teas are unpalatable/vegetal. Anyone have any experience with hop teas or vodka infusions I could draw on?

Dunkel

I'm not speaking with experience here, but maybe you could add isomerized hop extract after fermentation?

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/hop-extract-isomerised-6-100-ml-1568-p.asp

mr hoppy

Thanks! I didn't realise hop extract was available on a homebrew scale locally. Has anyone used it successfully?