• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 04:23:06 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Paddy Here

Started by Paddy, October 25, 2013, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

Hey guys

I'm obviously new here.  Just thought I'd say hi.  Been brewing AG a while now but always interested in finding out whats going on on the local HB scene.

Cheers,
Paddy

sub82

Hi Paddy - welcome! Good to have another brewer on board - I take it you're Belfast based? What do you brew.

Paddy

Hi sub.  And thanks!

Living in Dunmurry at the minute but I do work in the big smoke :)

Two Saisons on at the minute (one dry hopping in secondary the other bottle conditioning), got an ESB and Porter on the way and a Pils in the pipeline when winter really hits :D

I also brew various wines and meads on the side.  What about yourself?

sub82

Sounds good! I'd love to get into saisons - at the minute we've been making single hop pale ales trying different grain bills and hops but planning some ruby ales/bitters next.

matthewdick23

would love to venture into saison world too. thats a beer id love to bring to the pro world in n.ireland

we should do a saison comp in belfast...

Paddy

Haven't tried a ruby myself.  Would like to give that a go sometime.  I highly recommend checking out brewing a Saison at some point.  We used the WLP565 strain which is really tricky to work with but a lot of fun.  Learned a lot brewing the Saison...hence the fact we have two lol

Hadn't even tried one until we visited the Oast brewery in the Niagra-On-The-Lake region this Summer.  They make a great Saison.

sub82

Matthew - sounds good! Would that be for the new year? Would be good to have to work to a particular style.

Paddy - Will check it out then! I've tried the Partizan - Saison. Would it be typical of a saison?

Paddy

Can't say I'v tried it sub82 but from what I've read it seems to fit the bill of a typical Saison (peppery, dry, pours clear golden, nice head retention, subtle citrussy flavours). 

I guess there's no such thing as a "correct" Saison especially since modern Saisons are so far moved from the traditional variety and even the traditional Saisons were brewed on many French and Belgian farms thus creating such a variety that it's hard to pin the Style.  I'd be interested in knowing how it's judged in competitions.  I should probably look into that.  Pity there isn't much of a competition scene here...unless you guys know of one ;)

matthewdick23

we can chat about a saison comp at nxt meet- that been confirmed chris?

partizan do each saison differently- some are better than others i think

sub82

Nice one Paddy - would be good to sample one of yours if possible! We'll have to get something on the go!

Yep Matthew - I'll chase that up this evening. There seems to be a decent enough response to the date.

What about yourself Paddy? If you're free Friday 15th you are more than welcome.

Paddy

Aye I'd be up for that.  Free at the minute on that date so count me in.  Any competition would be great.  Aye I can probably donate a few bottles of the practice Saison and the actual Saison thought that's still being bottled sometime this coming week so don't know how much "actual Saison" it's gonna be  ::)