• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 09:26:42 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel Project #2

Started by Dodge, November 08, 2013, 01:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Furseys wasn't 100%true to style insofar as it fell between a sweetened example and an unsweetened, it was a lot more fruit forward than your average framboise, I loved it in any case.

Sent from my HTC One

Dodge

as said I think cantillon is the best example since its not as sweet as Lindemanns kriek or framboise. To me these although do taste nice they remind me of alchopops of the beer world. I personally couldn't drink a lot of them.

The Lambic needs to shine with its funkiness first and when blended with fruit after, then let the fruit come through.

Back to some other points for the barrel, do we have access to stale hops? this is needed! I'm not wanting to brew for the barrel with a experimental batch of beer if we don't have the necessary ingredients. IMO 200l of the first lambic needs to be good if we want to continue after blending with fruit or attempting a gueze. If the first base beer is not good, no amount of blending will improve the beer.

I'm all for the Lambic and I have several different ones on the go. I just didn't think we had the time frame to get everything ready? If we do and the barrel can be thoroughly cleaned, and people contributing can make the 200l fermenting straight using bacteria strains then lets go with it

The Oud Bruin was just a beer put out that runs along the lines of a lambic but is easier to do right now, can be blended after with fruit as well. Any other beer could be done.

Eoin

What amount of hops is needed? If we know amounts we can ask the club.

Sent from my HTC One

Dodge

Quote from: Eoin on November 09, 2013, 12:51:55 PM
What amount of hops is needed? If we know amounts we can ask the club.

TT
About 1kg of a year old stale hops at the least for a lambic of that size.

imark

Stale noble hops devoid of all flavour/aroma. At least 1kg. I think the Belgians use 3yr old hops.

Dodge

Quote from: imark on November 09, 2013, 01:04:27 PM
Stale noble hops devoid of all flavour/aroma. At least 1kg. I think the Belgians use 3yr old hops.
;D That's it

Eoin

Can they be bought for the purpose?

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Www.hopsdirect.com do aged, I suggest we ask Brian to check with Brouwland, I'd buy some to have put away anyway.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Aged hops are left to age in brown paper bags until they start to smell cheesey.

Sent from my HTC One

Dodge

Quote from: Eoin on November 09, 2013, 01:40:38 PM
Aged hops are left to age in brown paper bags until they start to smell cheesey.

TT
That's it Eoin. I have some old hops that really smell weird. ??? Any hops that are getting old in my stock that I wont use in my normal beers are placed in paperbags ready to age for when I want to brew a lambic

delzep

Isn't Rodenbach an Oud Bruin?

Should be able to get that in a good offie

imark

I think it's a Flanders red. Less body more tart.

irish_goat

It's wile hard to find in Ireland too. :(

imark

I popped into the drinkstore today while in town but they didn't have any Liefmans in store.  :(