• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 28, 2024, 11:47:17 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Weatherspoons in Peoples Republic

Started by Ciderhead, December 13, 2013, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taf

It might mean that you can get something decent to drink before 3 or 4 o'clock, which can be tricky in Cork. Will be interesting to see what type of punter they attract.

Ciderhead

Quote from: irish_goat on December 17, 2013, 02:55:10 PM
Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on December 17, 2013, 02:52:12 PM
A lot depends on the clientele that the pubs are receiving. The legal eagles around Lincoln's inn like cheap decent beer same as everyone else, but their wetherspoons , the knights Templar is a very good, we'll run spoons.

Whereas the sports themed spoons in highbury is a plastic glasses affair

This is the same in Derry. The Lloyd's pub is where a lot of young ones go for cheap drink and a dance and it also seems to be where a lot of daytime drinkers go. The Wetherspoons attracts a lot more families, daytime eaters and has a regular crowd of OAPs that keep the cask pumps flowing. At night it still fills with people out for cheap drinks before they head on elsewhere but it is a lot more spacious and doesn't have music blaring. The furniture as well is all in better nick in the Wetherspoons one.

IG is that the one on the Diamond, I was in there on 11th July having pints with Cara and earlier in the year with Mr D. And documented my experiences here
http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10008&start=30
My impression was that although it had the least amount of character I have ever experienced in a pub it had some really great beer in offer, and I am hoping the selling of non macro beers in Cork will fast track the adoption of local micros into the general trade.

Ciderhead

Quote from: Bzfeale80 on December 16, 2013, 08:03:48 PM
A lot depends on how much effort the franchisee manager puts into running the place. I don't think that the owners of Amicus and other places on Paul St will be happy about having such a company operating next door!

I can't see the local manager wanting to directly apply the UK selling model, why would he, look at Tescos, Argos or any other international retailer that has set up here, they pitch just below domestic retailers, probably the reason Weatherspoons are so attracted to this market.