• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 06:49:26 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Test Tubes

Started by iain_todd, January 15, 2014, 12:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain_todd

What's the craic with test tubes for washed yeast?

"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

sub82

We normally just use a 1L pickle jar for washed yeast. I'm not sure if you would be able to collect washed yeast in a test tube.

johnrm

Are you looking for vials?
There may be spares from recent GB. Matthew might be able to mule then from Dublin.

Paddy

Yeah Vials would b best.  Apparently the ones with screw tops are better as the corked ones often pop with the CO2 buildup.

I know most people use jars but I would love to get my hands on a few vials for freezing with glycerin.

irish_goat

I'll ask the missus about these, she might get them cheaper than Shiny in Dublin as they'd be coming from a UK company.

iain_todd

There's a guide on the main page about how to wash yeast and it says the Club can get them 20p each. Was wondering how to get them...
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

Paddy

Ah that sucks!

I am wondering if enough people missed this to warrant another group buy?  :P

Dying to get vials.  (Though I still need my full membership!!!)

I think it's worth noting that there are varying opinions on washing yeast vs not washing yeast.

Vials are cheap enough on Amazon but nowhere near THAT cheap.

Conor

plastic centrifuge tubes are great as they come in various sizes and have tight fitting screw lids. But for yeast storage I normally use 250ml plastic lab bottles. Arrive sterile so no messing around with disinfectant.

iain_todd

Quote from: Conor on January 20, 2014, 10:58:57 AM
plastic centrifuge tubes are great as they come in various sizes and have tight fitting screw lids. But for yeast storage I normally use 250ml plastic lab bottles. Arrive sterile so no messing around with disinfectant.

Cool where do you get those???

Conor

Iain.. girlfriend runs a lab so I get everything I need from her! Unfortunately limited supply so cant really start dealing in them! I'll have a word tho.

DEMPSEY

You should check with your girlfriend about buying some when the lab is ordering more as that's what Shiny does. He also put in an order for conical flasks and when they arrived at his work place the amount of them ordered implied a secret meth lab was under way (breaking bad). :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

iain_todd

Aye I'd be up for it. Wonder could we get a group buy on the go. Only if it actually suits though. Need to wash some yeast in about a week's time and I'll prob end up using a jar...