• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 07, 2024, 12:42:30 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Latest from Cory's Ciderlab

Started by Cory, January 22, 2014, 02:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Hey all-

In between large batches of beer (while all my bottle capacity is full  :D) I still like to tinker with small batches of cider in my 5L water bottle carboy (Bottlejohn on this forum!).  Today I was inspired by some crystallized honey in the pantry that my wife didn't want to use for cooking anymore.  I also had found some Muscovado brown sugar at Tesco this week, which I had seen before in the States, so I wanted to try that instead of brown sugar.  Here's the stats for today's batch:

Approx 150g Honey (softened in some hot water)
Approx 250g Muscovado brown sugar
Approx 100mL brewed black tea
Pinch of yeast nutrient
3L Sun Grown apple juice (cheapest juice I've found, 85c/Liter at Tesco)
Sprinkle of white-packet cider yeast from Homebrew West

Mixed the honey, sugars, and nutrient with hot water until dissolved under low heat.  Poured into water jug and topped up to about 4.5L and 19 degrees C with cold water.  Sprinkled on the yeast and tightened the lid until tight but lets out air when squeezed.  I'll report how it comes out in a few weeks.  Never used honey or Muscovado in cider, so I'm looking forward to the result.

Daily blog about life (and brewing!) in Ireland:
iowa2ireland.blogspot.com

lampie

what is the O.G on this? When I use the cheapest concentrate AJ i can find here I have an O.G. 1.050 and gives about a abv of 6%..

If you can make soup then you will also be able to make a decent beer!