• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 11:17:07 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sour cream and beer!

Started by chrismcg, April 30, 2014, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrismcg

Found this recipe the other day while looking up horseradish vodka (Don't bother clicking if you don't read Russian) http://alcofan.com/pem-pivo-so-smetanoj-pravilno.html

Something that will probably make some of you puke a little in your mouths, it's beer mixed with sour cream. I was intrigued so i decided to give it a shot.

The recipe calls for 200 grams of sour cream to be added to 330ml of beer. Simple!

I asked a Moldovan friend of mine and she suggested adding a little salt like her grandmother used to do.

I used a bottle of miller a friend left over at my place a few days ago instead of sacrificing something that I actually spent time making.

The results were exactly as I should have expected, awful.

Has anyone else here ever tried this? I split the concoction and mixed in a few other ingredients to see if it would ever be drinkable. I tried sugar and even tobasco, but it was still awful. Any ideas?

Anyway, if nothing else then this should serve as a warning for others not to try this :)

Eoin

It sounds like something a child would make and call it "cooking".

johnrm

Chris, do you know Russian?

I suppose it sorts the problem with head retention in bottled lite American Lagers.

Do Russians drink this stuff?

chrismcg

I used to be fluent in Russian, but lack of use for it these days means I'm a little rusty, that and I'm learning Japanese too which confuses my brain.
I've only heard of my friend's grandmother drinking it. I'll ask a few more of my friends, but I don't think it's too common. Probably because it's shit.

johnrm

Does your friends grandmother have taste buds then? Teeth?

Garry

When everything was in black and white,  grannies here used to mix milk and Guinness. They used to give it to kids when they were sick. That was before flat 7up became the cure-all potion of Irish mammys. So I suppose sour cream and beer isn't too far away from that? You could write a whole wiki article on the sick shit grannies force fed children down through the years  :P

sub82

May 02, 2014, 11:00:26 AM #6 Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:37:24 AM by sub82
Lithuanian friends were telling me their parents used to drink beer with either a raw egg or cream in it. We made a raw egg beer to try it - wasn't too bad but not sure I'd make it again!

Jacob

What about mulled beer? My father used to made it when he got cold. Some honey, cloves, ginger, cinamon. Wasn't that bad from what I remember.

Eoin

Heston Blumenthal made something similar in trying to emulate the Harry Potter Butter beer.

it was pretty common in the middle ages apparently to warm beer and add stuff to it.

chrismcg

That website also has a recipe for butter beer http://alcofan.com/slivochnoe-pivo-–-lyubimyj-napitok-garri-pottera.html
There are so many odd recipes on it, worth checking out if you speak Russian or can translate it easily.
Not sure I'm ever going to try anything from that website again though after the sour cream experience :)