• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 29, 2024, 01:40:32 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lucan Area Water Profile

Started by Stitch, December 11, 2012, 08:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitch

Good point on testing. May have to look at a test kit so.

Stitch

Just looking at this again for anyone that is interested. This is a quote from south Dublin county council on where the water for Lucan comes from:

"The water from Leixlip would be considered hard water and from Ballymore-Eustace it is soft water. We don't supply any water directly from Leixlip, but water from Leixlip is blended in our reservoir at Peamount which serves parts of Lucan and hence water in this area can be of medium hardness."

I tested the water coming out of my tap last night and measured it at 100mg/L CaCO3. I used test strips so the accuracy may be slightly off.

I hope this helps.

imark

It varies. I've seen it go anywhere between 60 and 220 over the course of a year. Gotta test before each brew.

Stitch

That is true Mark. And to be honest the profile was only over a range that was given similar to what you have mentioned. As they blend the water they have profiles for both reservoirs but not for Peamount. My guess is which ever one has the least demand will contribute the most and that is why there is such a variance.

imark

I started using the strips about 12mths ago. I test  before every brew and it has tended to be on the lower end of the range for the majority of that. 60-80. When the water shortages happened it got a lot harder and has been getting progressively softer again since. Well that's  even my observations anyway.

DEMPSEY

The water is a bitch all right but now I use my RO system and it constantly comes out at 0 to 5 ppm. Great to know because you can set that up in your Beersmith and when you are going to brew list the water profile you want and Beersmith does the calculations and lists the salts for addition. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Tubomyces on January 26, 2014, 01:11:21 PM
I'll drop 2 x 25L drums over to you tomorrow for filling if that's ok? ;)
no problem just fix my sisters laptop for me and there yours. :)

RedWino

Just saw this update on Facebook from Lucan Councillor William Lavelle:

UPDATE ON LUCAN WATER SUPPLY:
Up until April, the East Lucan area received 100% 'soft' water' sourced from Ballymore Eustace, while the West Lucan area received a blended supply with 80% 'soft' water.

From 14th April the supply to both areas changed, with all or most of Lucan being supplied with 'hard water' from Leixlip. The 'hard water' from Lucan contains between three and six times more Calcium Carbonate than the 'soft' water from Ballymore Eustace.

In May, I tabled an emergency motion at the Council seeking a reversal of these changes.
I can confirm that from last week all of East Lucan is again receiving 100% 'soft' water while West Lucan is receiving a blended supply with 60% 'soft' water.

imark

I noticed the change. I measure the hardness before each brew as it seems to fluctuate a bit.

lordstilton

Lads what are you using to measure? I've had a look on Amazon and all I see are aquarium strips..are they any use?

DEMPSEY

Aquarium kits. The Caco2 hardness kit.

lordstilton

Time to try out this water treatment lark

DEMPSEY

Only had 1 coffee as that should be Caco3 :-[

imark

Quote from: lordstilton on July 24, 2014, 01:32:58 PM
Time to try out this water treatment lark
I don't do massive amount of treatments. I will preboil to drop out hardness if it's particularly hard for my brew. Other than that I just adjust the mash pH.