• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 07:43:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

St. Peters IPA Batch Priming

Started by phelixoflaherty, August 21, 2014, 07:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phelixoflaherty

I am one week into brewing this (My First).

Just wondering what would the best sugar source to batch prime it and how much

Thanks

Shanna

Quote from: phelixoflaherty on August 21, 2014, 07:50:40 AM
I am one week into brewing this (My First).

Just wondering what would the best sugar source to batch prime it and how much

Thanks
Can't claim this is the best sugar source but here is what I use as its cheap, effective and readily available everywhere, table sugar.

I clean and sanitize a bottling bucket. I mix the sugar in about half a litre of water in a clean & sanitised sauce pan. I use the priming sugar calculator here to determine the required amount http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ t

Pay attention to ensure your beer has finished fer fermentation before bottling. You should have a consistent gravity reading and it should be in the range 1.010 - 1.014 approx (might be higher for a higher gravity beer). Also check your temperature of the beer.

I bring the solution to the boil and let it simmer for 10 minutes. I then cover and cool it in the kitchen sink. I add the cooled sugar solution in to my bottling bucket and then I rack the beer in on top. Generally I get good even carbonation among my bottles.

Hope this helps.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Qs

I've never used table sugar so I can't say for sure but people say its not as clean a flavour as other sugars. Dextrose(corn sugar) seems to be the most popular, thats what I use for no real reason other than it seems the done thing.

Damofto

Yes, I gave up using table sugar as it always gave me cider-like off flavours.  Since I started using Dextrose I haven't had any problems.   

LordEoin

i ususlly prime with dextrose, but that's just because it dissolves faster.
I never had a problem using table sugar for priming, so long as there's not already too much sugar used in the wort.

molc

I usually just boil up some dme and pop that in the bottom of the bottling bucket, then siphon on top. My recipe books seem to be giving me the evil eye when I think of using sugar. :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

phelixoflaherty

Thanks for the replys.

Might try Stevia and confuse the yeast ;)

benji

I always use table sugar and have had no problems, I figure that the amount is that small so its not really gonna have that much of an affect on taste, I usually work off 8g per L for everthing except stouts which I would go with 7g/L
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

LordEoin

Quote from: phelixoflaherty on August 21, 2014, 10:36:00 PM
Might try Stevia and confuse the yeast ;)
I'm pretty sure that would confuse the yeast alright, and baby jesus would cry a little as you pour the batch down the drain.

phelixoflaherty

I thought he only cried over wine

LordEoin

no, he can magic that up easy enough.