• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 08:38:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New Boil Kettle Controller from Auber!

Started by biertourist, October 30, 2014, 10:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biertourist

I'm a firm believer that boil kettles just need simple dial-control and a full PID is a complication.  Here's a dial-controller specifically made for wort boiling by Auber that's a nice middle ground.

$32.95 USD (Auber is always more expensive) but it includes a digital display with % output and you can set the cycle time.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=444

I still think I like the idea of the uber simple external dial with a teeny tiny PWM circuit - it's a low voltage signal so I can just run the wire straight to my brew stand right in front of the boil kettle and install it through a drilled hole -then have it connect to a stand-alone SSR in it's own super tiny plastic, waterproof box. -Cheap, simple right at your fingertips!

Auber lists the pros and cons of using this product vs. a full PID controller right in the product description:
etailed comparison of DSPR1 with other wort boiling control methods.
1) DSPR1 vs. PID controller's Manual mode.
Advantages:

More uniform power output. Finer power control.
The rotary nub is easier to adjust than the small keys.
Easy to set up.
Lower cost.

Disadvantage:
It does not display the temperature

-Also SUPER cool feature is that this single controller can actually control multiple SSRs!  For those of you that have multiple electric element systems and want control of the power output, now you can control them both off of a single dial controller...

Adam

pob

Do the eBay Voltage controllers not do same job, only $10/€8? Even using two for two elements seems cheaper ( I'm not saying it's better, just cheaper).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000W-AC-220V-SCR-Voltage-Regulator-Speed-Controller-Thermostat-Dimmer-/271159864010 , though their description of Live & Neutral doesn't inspire too much confidence ;-)

Doesn't have digital readout without adding a $5 LCD display, but by playing with the power you can work out what level you need for your boil.

biertourist

Quote from: pob on October 31, 2014, 08:37:40 AM
Do the eBay Voltage controllers not do same job, only $10/€8? Even using two for two elements seems cheaper ( I'm not saying it's better, just cheaper).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000W-AC-220V-SCR-Voltage-Regulator-Speed-Controller-Thermostat-Dimmer-/271159864010 , though their description of Live & Neutral doesn't inspire too much confidence ;-)

Doesn't have digital readout without adding a $5 LCD display, but by playing with the power you can work out what level you need for your boil.

Apples and Oranges.  You'll need an EE to explain the full details but the thing you've linked to is an SCR.  It's going to control the wattage output via voltage not on/off cycles -I believe it results in a lot of noise that can harm other equipment in your brewery control panel and possible even other devices.

There's a few electrical engineer types weighing in on the Auber offering on HBT and they seem to think it's pretty ideal for brewery boil kettle control. (Although honestly electric elements aren't too picky on how you control them; everything seems to work for them; it's just the other electronics that you have to worry about.)

I also find comfort in the digital display showing me the %output so I don't have to guess and can set it the same everytime for repeatability. I really like the new Auber controller; I just wish it was 1/4 that size... 

My ideal controller would be dial-based but would have a "remote" dial that works over low voltage signal and that can be located right next to my boil kettle; it would also DISPLAY / READ temperature (for chilling) and would have an Alarm feature that I could set at 95C to warn me that the boil is getting close so I can avoid hot break mess.

-Yes, essentially I'm asking for a PID controller without the PID functionality (%output only) and dial control; BUT with a remote low voltage dial that's located external to the electric box and get mounted into my brew stand.

Adam

armedcor

I went back and forth on this for an hour but just placed my order for the standard auber pid and a nice pt100... the way I'm planning my system I think it's the best of both worlds to have the pid and the manual control.

biertourist

It's only the best of both worlds, if the manual control has a dial.  Unfortunately no such pid controller exists today.

Adam