• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 08:36:27 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP Judge Qualification COurse

Started by Padraic, March 05, 2013, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

Quote from: Tom on June 03, 2013, 06:05:09 PM
What time do you anticipate finishing on the 29th? Think I've a gig that night, and I'm sure it won't be further south than Derry!

Hoping to run each day from 10:00 To 17:00 or 18:00 will that be early enough for you?

Padraic

Quote from: Dunkel on June 03, 2013, 06:11:22 PM
Quote from: matthewdick23 on June 03, 2013, 05:41:28 PM
Quote from: Padraic on June 03, 2013, 05:31:17 PM
1. Padraic [29th June is fine]
2. Johnrm
3. Tom
4. Dodge
5. Matthewdick23  In. Im in Dublin that wkend- so perfect!!
6. brenmurph
7. Will_D
8. Andrew
9. Stitch
10. Declan (CARA)
11. Rossa
12. Saruman
13. Partridge9
14. Irish Goat
15. Kellie
16. Dunkel - just confirmed with the Boss (no, not that one, my employer), and off that day, so I'm in :)

Looking at the syllabus, there's a lot to cover!

There is indeed and we'll get through it! I hope!

Will_D

1. Padraic [29th June is fine]
2. Johnrm
3. Tom
4. Dodge
5. Matthewdick23  In. Im in Dublin that wkend- so perfect!!
6. brenmurph
7. Will_D  [29th June is fine]
8. Andrew
9. Stitch
10. Declan (CARA)
11. Rossa
12. Saruman
13. Partridge9
14. Irish Goat
15. Kellie
16. Dunkel - just confirmed with the Boss (no, not that one, my employer), and off that day, so I'm in :)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Dunkel

For those intending to take this course, I've just found this link to a simplified version of it: it's worthwhile taking a look at before the first session.

http://www.bjcp.org/course/introduction.php

Partridge9

Blast in the states then unfortunately

- and I really want to do this course !

Padraic

@Partridge9 - I'd say you'll be fine missing one or two of the days, ill give you the notes and let you know which beers to pick up and where stocks them!

@dunkel - good find, I didn't come across that page! They seem to be referring to the old syllabus but the lessons all are still relevant for the new exams!

Partridge9

Thanks Padraic - really appreciate that- I really want to get the BJCP exam.

matthewdick23

so is there anything we need to do before showing up at the class? has a place been confirmed?

Padraic

Quote from: matthewdick23 on June 12, 2013, 12:35:12 PM
so is there anything we need to do before showing up at the class? has a place been confirmed?

Supplies - Pen and paper if you want to take notes, other than that I hope to have everything covered.

Venue - Not yet, I will announce it a week before, but it will be in Dublin City Centre without a doubt!

I want to announce the exact cost as well but can't just yet as I haven't nailed down a venue! (I'm hoping for a free/very low cost venue!)

Padraic

The venue has been confirmed! We will be tasting at W J Kavanagh. Declan (Cara) has kindly offered to open the place up for us to do our tasting.

So the plan is to run the tasting from 10-4 or 5 (they open for customers from 3)

A rough timetable will be,
1 hour of Malt/Water chatter
~15 tasters ~100ml which should last about 20 mins each. (5 hours)

We could decrease the volume to ~80ml to reduce costs for the more expensive beers. In actual judging you would probably only pour ~50ml. So if the beers are extra expensive I think we should reduce to this level!

You will need to arrive fed and we'll probably have a break to run out to get a sandwich at lunchtime!

Kevin (Dunkel) is going to help me lead this project and he informs me that he has started practicing tasting already!

I'll send out a pm later today, but please do update the list to confirm your attendance!

Stitch

Padraic
I will have to bow out of this one.
Sorry if this is a problem

matthewdick23

Padraic

Quote from: Stitch on June 13, 2013, 02:08:52 PM
Padraic
I will have to bow out of this one.
Sorry if this is a problem

Sorry to hear you can't do the course!

matthewdick23

aye- im in dub that wkend neways for a beer wkend wit some friends. i'll just disappear from them for a while. actually might get them to come in at 3 and play catch up

anyone going to this from ballsbridge direction

Padraic

Quote from: Il Tubo on June 13, 2013, 05:45:18 PM
Pretty sure several Dublin Bus routes will take you from Ballsbridge to Lower Dorset St (a major thoroughfare to the north side), outside WJK's.

Routes 1, 4 etc. I'm sure the lads from over that way will pipe up (shiny?)

You can also get trains from ballsbridge to drumcondra, but they are infrequent!