• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 10:08:26 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cleaning products

Started by Donny, March 07, 2017, 11:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny

Hey everyone,

What are people's thoughts on using OXY cleaners for cleaning carboys?

Ive acquired 2 pressure barrels that need a really good clean by one of them has a 2" neck and it's impossible to get in there to give it a good scrub. (phrasing)

Damien M

OXY will clean them. but don't leave it in too long a hour or so and rinse. Thurles (midlands temporary hard) water will cause a scaling on the tide line of left too long. Oxy will definitely soften the crud 

DEMPSEY

It is also temperature dependent. It work best at around 40C.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

T'is slippy stuff when it gets on the outside of the container so be careful when you try lifting ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

BrewDorg

What's the logic behind not leaving Oxy too long? Just wondering because I often leave my stuff soaking in Oxy for days.

Damien M

Quote from: BrewDorg on March 08, 2017, 12:11:01 PM
What's the logic behind not leaving Oxy too long? Just wondering because I often leave my stuff soaking in Oxy for days.

I'm sure there is science behind it. I left a Carboy too long with OXy and a hard water scale formed particularly at the surface of the water tide line. I had to do an acid wash to remove. 

imark

Quote from: Damien M on March 08, 2017, 12:52:34 PM
Quote from: BrewDorg on March 08, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

I'm sure there is science behind it. I left a Carboy too long with OXy and a hard water scale formed particularly at the surface of the water tide line. I had to do an acid wash to remove.
Had similar experience

Donny

Cheers lads, picked up a box from eurogiant for €4. No dyes or fragrance.

Quote from: Damien M on March 08, 2017, 11:42:57 AM
OXY will clean them. but don't leave it in too long a hour or so and rinse. Thurles (midlands temporary hard) water will cause a scaling on the tide line of left too long. Oxy will definitely soften the crud 

Cheers Damian, was planning on leaving it over night until I saw this.

Leann ull

Youl will get a bleach migration into the resin with long term exposure.
30 Min soak 60 degree wash should shift everything.
If it doesn't empty and repeat.

oblivious

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 08, 2017, 11:59:36 AM
T'is slippy stuff when it gets on the outside of the container so be careful when you try lifting ;)

That's not the cleaner, it the base reacting with the fat in you skin to make soap!!

You literally cleaning yourself

Donny

Quote from: oblivious on March 08, 2017, 03:34:26 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 08, 2017, 11:59:36 AM

That's not the cleaner, it the base reacting with the fat in you skin to make soap!!

You literally cleaning yourself

BrewDorg

Quote from: CH on March 08, 2017, 03:30:37 PM
Youl will get a bleach migration into the resin with long term exposure.
30 Min soak 60 degree wash should shift everything.
If it doesn't empty and repeat.

Would it be OK for stainless? Have my stainless fermenter soaking right now and won't be home until Sunday. To be honest I always soak my kettle and fermenter for days..

Fatcontro11er

I have a chlorine taint in a pressure barrel how can I get rid of it???

Leann ull

Soak with water and SS. How did it get there in the first place? Stored for long term.? That will come into your beer as it's in the vessel now
No plastic container should be exposed to chemicals more than 24 hours unless it's your long term storage vessel.
Even starsan "rots" the plunger and mister  in spray bottles.

Fatcontro11er

I must have left it soaking for too long! But any amount of soaking  in water hasn't got rid so far!