• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 05:17:30 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First kettle sour - dumb mistake

Started by revel_and_chaff, May 31, 2017, 10:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revel_and_chaff

So I'm in the middle of my first kettle sour and it was all going so well. I mashed in a grist of 75% pilsner and 25% wheat malt, drained off about 23 liters of 1.040 wort, got it down to about 38C and put in about 2 teaspoons of lactic acid to get the PH down to about 4.5. Then I threw in the contents of 7 Biokult tabs and wrapped it all up and kept it up around the 38C mark. So after about 24 hours it seemed to be souring nicely and then the dumb part happened - I thought it would be a great idea to put a small sup of it into the 1.5 liter WLP007 yeast starter I had on in order to get the yeast used to the acidity. Obviously I should have waited until the lacto was killed off before doing this...so my question is now - is there anyway I can still use this stater without it infecting the entire batch and everything it comes into contact with lacto bacteria? I have some WLP001 slurry I could just use instead, but if I didn't have to dump the WLP007 that would be better...
So revel and chaff as ye thirstily quaff, under six feet of dirt it's less easy to laugh!

nigel_c

You have a nice lacto starter now.
I'd dump it or throw it into the boil as yeast nutrient and go with a clean yeast. lesson learned. It'll be grand.

revel_and_chaff

This is fermenting very slowly (only down to 1.012 from 1.040 after a week), but is tasting lovely already - definite peach flavour off it.
So revel and chaff as ye thirstily quaff, under six feet of dirt it's less easy to laugh!