• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 11:19:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CO2 vs Suremix 50

Started by Andy Q, June 08, 2018, 04:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Q

Hi All,

Have a bottle of both the above, but both are used with cheap/questionable gas regulators, and I'm planning to upgrade one of them to improve quality(always seem to be under/over carbonating beer) so torn between buying a new co2 or mixed gas reg, anyone have much an opinion on quality of beer carbed/served with pure CO2 V's 50:50?
My Gut feeling is that I preferred pure CO2, but surely the Macros use 50@50 for a reason?

Thanks as always,
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

Kevco5

As far as I know marcos have to use 50:50 because they have to use a far higher psi from the regulator due to longer beer lines, and if they used pure co2 the beer would end up massively over carbed.
I hope that makes sense, I'm sure someone here can clarify anyway.

Personally I'd go with the pure co2

CH

There are generally 2 types 75:25 and 50:50. Nitro:C02
The first I'd use for stout although seen it being used in Limerick for Ruby from White Gypsy.
The second and more common is used for everything else incl Cider.
Homebrewers use pure co2 as it's easy to get hold of and carbs your beer much quicker.
Suremix is much higher pressure in the tank, typically 32psi afaik.
The nitrogen softens the profile because it has a smaller bubble and enhance malty beers.
Co2 is better for lagers to give that edge and bite, there is a receptor in the back of the mouth connected to the noise that is sensitive to it apparently.
If I had the money I'd buy a nitrogenator, 1.5-2k, it's a device pubs have to mix nitro from the air and co2 commercial supplies.
I use the 75:25 50:50 and pure co2.
Not sure I could pick a favourite unless I was only drinking one style.

Andy Q

Thanks lads, all low colour lagers/Begians/IPA's these days, the mixed reg I have will do for stout(the only other style I brew) as it's preset to 40-50 if memory serves,
anyone any experience with iedepot? presuming output is psi

https://www.iedepot.ie/co2-regulator/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKtyKUKad3hnEHFSEO8PEgjI6bMoGb8hRyp8wNjA1N8dPxWHk8vA7IkRoC57UQAvD_BwE

buying a welding bottle off fleabay/amazon scares me as some comments claim threads/gauges/fittings don't suit European brewers,

regards,
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

molc

I'll probably be shot for this, but the Belgian high carbonation beers are really better out of a bottle - something happens from the bottle conditioning and recarbonation which you dont get in the keg.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

CH

June 08, 2018, 11:10:21 PM #5 Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:23:03 PM by CH
Do try and find yourself a proper reg rather than those welding ones for suremix. The creaks and pings from suremix when I connect to my cornies sounds like the Titanic. It's not something you want to be messing about with.
Be very careful your hose is rated for the pressure and why even though it's a pita because of the stiffness to twist in the fridge I only use the multilayer gas/beer line

There is something about bottle conditioning which is better than force carbonating, is it because the yeast gobbles up all the 02 or the co2 is applied by degrees and not accelerated?

johnrm

CO2 in a bottle moves between solution and headspace.
When yeast conditions, CO2 will initially move into the headspace as pressure increases this CO2 tends towards staying in solution.
Consider the size of yeast and the size of the CO2 bubbles being produced.
Also consider that yeast produces many other compounds which may have a bearing on adherance of CO2 to particles to malt/sugars in the beer. (+ve -ve ions etc).

When force carbonating, there would be a certain amount of yeast derived CO2 from primary fermentation, then additional pure CO2 is forced in which does not have the same adherance.
Also, once the bottle is clean with minimal/no nucleation points, and conditioned at the appropriate temperature, theoretically there may be a smoother/finer mouthfeel in bottle conditioned beers.

There is a lot that is not known about Yeast so I qualify all of this with one word.

Possibly.

CH

So in layman's language, Kegging is straight in no kissing whereas Bottle conditioning is a romantic meal out for two followed by ... and that's why everybody has started using kegs to ferment in again under pressure? That makes sense.

molc

Actually, fermenting under pressure has been shown to reduce esters in the finished beer, so you may not want to do it either.

Like all things beer, it depends ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter