• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 11:34:40 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Something to hold the bag...

Started by annebrodie, November 07, 2018, 06:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annebrodie

So, I took the plunge today and put on my Exceedingly Good Cascade IPA (BIAB method) - my first brew with my new system.

I nearly did myself a mischief trying to hang onto that heavy bag of grain to collect the run-off, though.

I see on this website Garry's excellent step-by-step guide to the BIAB method but he seems to be doing it in the garden shed, so he can just hang the bag over a bit of wood screwed into the rafters, but that's not going to work great in my kitchen...

Has anyone got any brilliant solutions?

Thanks!

Richie71

Lidl sell an extendable sieve every so often.  Can get a bit messy if you have a lot of grain but usually ok if you squeeze & tie the bag.  Probably available elsewhere as well. 

itsclinto

annebrodie

Quote from: itsclinto on November 08, 2018, 09:34:21 AM
Ikea have a colander that i used to sit over my bucket/boiler to let the bag drain.  Really handy

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/kitchen-utensils/idealisk-colander-stainless-steel-black-art-50103755/

Oh! Now that looks like The Business! And only €8... Looks like someone gets an excuse to go to IKEA.......

LordEoin

i'vw been known to pull a rack out of the oven to sit grain bags on.
just remember to wash them after as they get sticky.

Richie71

Quote from: itsclinto on November 08, 2018, 09:34:21 AM
Ikea have a colander that i used to sit over my bucket/boiler to let the bag drain.  Really handy

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/kitchen-utensils/idealisk-colander-stainless-steel-black-art-50103755/

That's the exact same one I got in Lidl.  Can't remember how much it cost, probably in and around the same.

pob

Get a cake rake/microwave grill rack (free, couple of quid from charity shop), use it to keep bag from bottom of BIAB kettle.

Get a bucket (Alpack ~€6-8), lift BIAB bag out of kettle after mash, use bucket as scoop to get under bag (means you don't have to lift messy bag straight up), a lot easierto use handle on bucket to lift now. Then put on floor.

Lift cake rack out of kettle & put under BIAB bag (lift up, out of bucket) in the bottom of the bucket.

Then it'll drain away, you can squeeze bag to get more out, but 5 mins of gravity will get most of the wort.

Bucket makes it easier to get rid of spent grain & is handy storage for brewing gear too.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: LordEoin on November 08, 2018, 11:13:02 PM
i'vw been known to pull a rack out of the oven to sit grain bags on.
just remember to wash them after as they get sticky.

I do this all the time.

In conjunction with my sky hook

BrewDorg

Lidl (our local one anyway) has cake racks in stock now if you're looking

annebrodie

shweeney

I brew outside and use a bike repair stand to hang my bag over the kettle to drain (I have a length of metal I put in the repair stand clamp and hang the handles of the bag off that). Then I spin the bag to squeeze the wort out before dumping it into a spare bucket.