• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 09, 2024, 06:20:10 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hop strainer problems

Started by Mike, December 21, 2012, 05:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

December 21, 2012, 05:06:26 PM Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:07:11 PM by Mike
I made my AG equipment a while back and I used the stainless steel shell of a pipe (which is like chain mail) as a hop strainer.  It worked fine on the first batch (albeit I had to wiggle it a bit) but the on the last two batches it has become clogged leading to a very slow flow/dribble and in the end I have had to pour the batch through a sive.  Is there something I can do to the hop strainer to make it perform better or should I try another type?

http://imgur.com/dEjKv#.UNSVu5IBR5U.email

Spud395

They can be troublesome.

When I had a bucket set up (very like yours) I had good luck with a length of 1/2" copper with 2mm holes drilled in it. Only time I had hassle was the time I forgot to fit it before the boil  :-[

I use a keggle now and have an upsidedown colander which does the job nicely.
Not used one like yours although I've seen them quiet a bit so there must be a way of making them work.
Do you have anything inside to stop it crushing and closing the holes? I've seen lads put short pieces of copper pipe it there to support it, maybe!
Non modo......sed etiam

Jacob

Never had any problem with it, however not using it as a hop strainer but as a filter when mashing. Have u tried to stir around it to remove hops from it?

Mike

I'm a hop fan so generally there are too many hops in it to get a good stir going. 

I had thought of putting something in it like a length of copper pipe.  I was wondering if it'd be better just to replace it with a length of drilled copper pipe?

Ciderhead

I had one of these

Before I started using one of these

Mike

Yeah I think that's a strong solution.

This is my APA today.  I'm worrying because I had to pour through a sive, does it look ok or could that be an infection?  It still smells good.

Will_D

December 22, 2012, 10:40:32 AM #6 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:41:43 AM by Will_D
Nothing to worry about.

Some top cropping yeasts like US-05 have these dark spots as normal, they are justr drying out & autolysing old yeast.

Perfectly normal.

Now naturally there are at least two opions on what to do:

1. Do nowt and maybe get a flavour off the brown bits

2. Regualarly skim the brown bits off the top. This removes the flavour risks BUT ups the likelyhood of contamination greatly.

Personnaly I leave well alone

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Mike

Cheers. Will leave it alone so!

Will_D

QuoteI made my AG equipment a while back and I used the stainless steel shell of a pipe (which is like chain mail) as a hop strainer.  It worked fine on the first batch (albeit I had to wiggle it a bit) but the on the last two batches it has become clogged leading to a very slow flow/dribble and in the end I have had to pour the batch through a sive.  Is there something I can do to the hop strainer to make it perform better or should I try another type?

http://imgur.com/dEjKv#.UNSVu5IBR5U.email

The problem is there are too many wires in the weave.

These braids usually have 4 or 5 strands running parallel to each other and braided against the others.

What you could do is cut every other and pull them out. That way the weave is 50% less dense. Tedious but would work. Maybe quicker to go the copper route

Will

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Mike

Will try that first. Is it damaging to the beer to pour it through a sive?

Ciderhead

QuoteWill try that first. Is it damaging to the beer to pour it through a sive?

At the end of the boil to get oxygen in prior to pitching yeast, a lot of home brewers in the US pass through a STERILISED sieve

RichC

I tried various solutions and finally this works best:

However, I did have a problem with a load of pellets recently(I f**king hate pellets) . Will use a hopsock with pellets from now on

Ciderhead

Ciderhead

January 01, 2013, 02:39:13 PM #13 Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:46:15 PM by Ciderhead
Lars hop strainer reminded me of a simple timber template i knocked up for those wishing to cut defined depths with a jigsaw blade into copper pipe for a hop strainer or fly sparge

You can see you insert your pipe, slide your jigsaw along until it hits the stop and you have a uniform depth cut along your pipe length. Much easier than a Dremmel or hack saw.

JimmyM

Good solution!!! - I have just built my whole kitchen from scratch - alot of routing and cutting - I swear by jigs n templates.
Jigs n templates has a nice ring to it - could be a show on rte.
Formerly JamesM.