• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 12:49:38 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Tog brewday 10th November

Started by Padraic, November 05, 2013, 01:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikerbrewer

01. Padraic
02. Jules
03. Shiny
04. Beerfly
05. Brew_Diva
06. bikerbrewer

Padraic

Sorry typing this on my phone so can't edit the numbers.. I'll not be able to make it back up to Dublin in time!

Enjoy the brewday everyone!

Who's brewing? (I think sully was going to but I'm not sure as he's not on the list.

02. Jules
03. Shiny
04. Beerfly
05. Brew_Diva
06. bikerbrewer

Shane Phelan

I think Michelle is brewing too.
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Quote from: irish_goat on November 09, 2013, 02:58:07 PM
Anyone able to fill me a corny and I'll swap you for an empty unused one?

I'm already carrying 3 kegs and yeast gear via taxi, I wouldn't be able to do more as I'm pushing it as it is. I don't mind storing one if someone offered up a keg but I'm at the limit of what I can carry by myself.

Brew Log

CARA

I've only the one free corney unfortunately, happy to store though. Would someone mind bringing some cleany stuff, I think mine is in Farringtons of all places! Will there be someone around at 10? Need to get in and out pretty sharpish for work
Upa Sesh

Rossa

I won't be there until about 12 with my kegs.

beerfly

Quote from: irish_goat on November 09, 2013, 02:58:07 PM
Anyone able to fill me a corny and I'll swap you for an empty unused one?

I'll get it for you

CARA

In work early and won't make it down ;( I have my corney with me at Kavanaghs if any kind soul is passing.....
Upa Sesh

Shane Phelan

By the way, big thanks to Sully for bringing in all the apples and cider making equipment this month. I had never seen the process undertaken before and was really interested to see everything happen. A few people were mentioning the possibility of doing the brew day on a Saturday morning for a change.

How would Saturday 7th December suit people?

Its TOG's 5th birthday in January so it would be nice to brew a batch for them, ferment it in TOG and bottle it in the new year as a thank you for letting us use the place for brewing. I think it is pretty much our 1 year birthday of brewing there too? I'm happy to donate some ingredients towards this.

Brew Log

Brew_Diva

Hey guys. Sorry for missing the brew day on Sunday. I was away in Cavan and internet reception was poor so couldn't update the thread either. my apologies....

I was supposed to be brewing on Sunday  :( and Definitely want to have my next brew ready for Christmas  8) so I've decided the time has come to invest in my own equipment... HLT, Mash Tun and Cooler, very exciting, and with a little bit of trepidation will attempt to go it alone for the first time on my second brew... (Bramling Cross)

Was thinking to buy the Mash Tun from homebrew store, maybe the cooler too in fact... I don't want to risk making a shoddy one
Do I need to get a water heater like a Burko as well as a HLT or can I double up with them...?

Also re the tap in my kitchen.... Would it be a good idea to extend the tap with some hosepipe..? and does one need taps for anything, or would these be on the equipment I buy?

If anyone has any tips I'd be delighted to hear them. I'll also post my ingredients soon and maybe get some feedback on recipe weights timing etc, I know some of you have that awesome software that allows for perfect planning in the beer...

Hope ye had a good day on Sunday in TOG and hopefully will have some half decent beer to try in a few weeks  :D

Shane Phelan

Hi Michelle, I will give you my number at the next beer tasting so that you have a way of contacting someone if you need some help with equipment etc.. I bought all my gear on the HBC website, I could have build it myself but I was too lazy to be honest. I pretty much got everything that is in this kit separately, I got both the chiller and mash-tun for Christmas presents so that made things a lot easier!

I use the kettle to heat the water for mashing and use the fermenter to store the first runnings while heating the sparge water. I use one of these to connect my chiller to my tap in the kitchen, it works pretty well.
Brew Log

Brew_Diva

Thanks Shiny, and for the links. I might give them a call re the separate items as I already have the beer/ cider starter kit myself. That's great though, and I may very well need to pick your brains some more about this  :)
Do you know when is the next tasting? I'll probably pop in to Farringtons on Saturday too in the late afternoon, so hopefully can get some tips there too

Shane Phelan

No problem at all ! Next tasting is most likely on Tuesday 26th November. Watch plenty of home-brewing videos on youtube, its useful to see other brew-days and become more familiar with the process from start to finish.
Brew Log