• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 12:23:58 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Whacky Idea #49

Started by Will_D, November 11, 2013, 07:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Now here's an idea:

Problems:
a) You have a group cask fill project and you find yourselves 20 L short

b) The angels rob you blind (or the cask leaked a bit) and you have a 10 L headspace

Solution:

Its like a bag-in-a-box but in reverse:

Its a weighted Food Grade, sanitised, O2 proof inflatable bag that you put into the cask. You fill it with CO2 and it expands. This displaces the head space gases/air and is just like "filling the cask with more product"

Comments please?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

HomeBrewWest

Its sounds like a great idea. We asked our suppliers to manufacture such a thing for removing head space in secondary fermentation for wines, but no offerings yet.

Another idea of ours was large glass balls, easy to sterilize. Anybody know where we could get these? Giant marbles, say 3 to 4" in diameter, could be hollow with slightly negative buoyancy.

In fact, if they were custom made, you could even use them as a crude hydrometer!
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Eoin

There are hydrometer balls you can buy, you throw the set of 6 or 7 into the fermenter and they sink successively. With regards to the headspace, that inventions program showed a patent recently for a bladder you inflate in an opened wine bottle to fill the headspace, similar idea possible patent issues. It was taken on by the money people.

Sent from my HTC One

Tom

Good idea Will. I'm just amazed it's only 49.

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Eoin on November 11, 2013, 08:27:19 PM
There are hydrometer balls you can buy, you throw the set of 6 or 7 into the fermenter and they sink successively. With regards to the headspace, that inventions program showed a patent recently for a bladder you inflate in an opened wine bottle to fill the headspace, similar idea possible patent issues. It was taken on by the money people.

TT

Feic sake, now I have to go and purchase those.  ::)
Brew Log

Padraic

Quote from: shiny on November 11, 2013, 08:41:10 PM

I'm choosing to ignore these as the ramblings of a mad man, they couldn't exist! (because f they did I'd need them!)

Eoin

http://www.brewballstore.com/

Read it and weep, compulsive shoppers.

Sent from my HTC One

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Padraic on November 13, 2013, 01:21:53 PM
Quote from: shiny on November 11, 2013, 08:41:10 PM

I'm choosing to ignore these as the ramblings of a mad man, they couldn't exist! (because f they did I'd need them!)

I wasn't joking, I would have purchased them if they weren't out of stock!
Brew Log

Garry

It looks like he's loading the numbers into the lotto machine  :P

Shouldn't KPMG have noticed that it's full of beer?

LordEoin

You could reclaim the bladder from empty eco-kegs to suit the purpose?

irish_goat

Was thinking, you could use this idea for cleaning. Put one in your fermenter and you would need a lot less cleaning/sterilising liquid then.