• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 23, 2024, 01:52:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rebellious Lambic - AKA Old English October Beer...

Started by johnrm, November 26, 2013, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donnchadhc

Need 1l of wort at a gravity of circa 1.2 to get the SG up to 1.09. Not gonna mini mash that!!!

mr hoppy

I've 1.5kg of DME if anyone needs some. I'm in town weekdays.

Would think the best way to do this would be to bump up any additional brews rather than messing with the ones that are already fermenting?

johnrm

donnchadhc

Would the brews not have to go to 1.15 ish? Add DME or double mash? I'd keep the hopping rates the same, it will even out in the barrel

mr hoppy

Just thinking about it, and not saying it's a good idea but Dogfish head increase the gravity on their 120 minute IPA by adding sugar to it after its started fermenting.

Wouldn't add sugar to this, but is anyone so confident about their sanitation that they'd risk poppping a kilo of DME in. :o

donnchadhc

Lets just aim to get it as high as possible. Even if it only lands on average at 1.084 at 75% attenuation you'll still have a FG of 1.021 and an eight and a half percent beer.

johnrm

I'm pulling the average down right now. More controlled conditions (not pissing rain) will hopefully boost morale and produce a better batch.

LordEoin

i think we should all just stick with what we've got, let it do it's thing, and let the blending sort it all out.

Taf

I'll try to make mine a touch on the strong side so, and might get the second runnings too. That Yorkshire square is very lively, as mine was fizzing a bit, but in the fridge now, and will do starter soon.

mr hoppy

Was reading up on the yeast - and it seems fermenting down around 16C is a no no - those with temp controls: aim for around 20C if you can.

LordEoin

Quote from: LordEoin on March 31, 2014, 12:39:22 PM
From vial: keep over 70F until fermentation  begins
From website: Optimum Ferment Temp 65-70°F
in celcius : 18.5C - 21C optimum

johnrm

Latest contributors...

1. johnrm - 2014.03.29 22l @ 1.072 Yorkshire square ale
2. taf - Still in
3. Sam - Johnrm stepping in.
4. Dara - Still in
5. mr_happy - 22l @ 1090  Yorkshire Square Ale
6. Lance Armstrong - 2014.03.29 26l @ 1.080 Notty
7. LordEoin - 2014.03.30 23l @ 1.076 Yorkshire Square Ale
8. Dr Horrible - 2014.03.29 23l@1.086 Yorkshire square ale
9. ColmOM Colm is under pressure so Alain Dekoster is jumping in.
10. DonnchadhC - 2014.03.28 25l@ 1.084 Yorkshire Ale Yeast

Taf

mr hoppy

Quote from: mr happy on March 04, 2014, 05:05:46 AM
Grain bill:
All grain
Pale malt - 8kg
Amber malt - 200g

Mash: Single infusion 20 litres @ 67C
Batch sparge x 2 - 6 litres @ 75C

Water treatment (Cork city water) - 1 tsp Calcium Chloride

Boil - 90 minutes
Hops
60 minutes - 60 g East Kent Goldings 5% AA - 44 IBU
30 minutes - 80 g East Kent Goldings 5% AA - 45 IBU

Yeast: WLP037
http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp037-yorkshire-square-ale-yeast
Joking aside, this is a very decent, characterful English ale yeast that can handle high alcohol.

Boil volume 24 l
Original volume 20 l
Final volume 18 l

Expected boil gravity:        77
Expected original gravity:   90
Expected final gravity:       23
Expected ABV:                  8.5%
Expected colour:                7
Expected IBU:                   90

I know not everyone batch sparges, (or lives in the city - I add calcium to all my brews as it's very low in city water - so water treatment mightn't be relevant for some people) - other assumptions are 10% boil off per hour, malt absorbing 1 litre of water per kg and 75% efficiency.

Primary - 2 - 3 weeks - rousing occassionally
Secondary in Barrel - 6 mths - 1 year
Keg and add dry hops and / or brett to taste

or Partial mash, same as above except
Pale malt - 6kg
Amber malt - 200g
DME - 1.635kg at start of boil
Mash: Single infusion  18 litres @ 67C
Batch sparge x 2 - 6 litres @ 75C

Based on my experiece:
1 - my efficiency wasn't great, but I had some DME handy so I was able to hit my numbers that way.
2 - the wort didn't come out of the mash at the gravity I was looking for, but historically this was boiled for ages - we agreed on 90 minutes initially, but I boiled for 2 hours to concentrate the wort which was still to style.
3 - the yeast, if you're using the WLP037, DO NOT LET THIS YEAST FERMENT COOL, unless you like clove flavoured barley wine. 16C is bad, 20C is good.

mr hoppy

Also, with Tube's 7.3% AA EKG you'll need about 42g on the first addition and 55g on the second.