• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 01:24:20 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Orange Hefeweizen (ala 'shocktop')

Started by LordEoin, December 07, 2012, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobShamrock

LordEoin

It sure is :)

The clarity and neutral flavor sounds like you fermented at about 20C
WB06 ferments fairly clean for a hefe  yeast around that temp.

WB06 is a funny one. keep it out of its comfort zone and its more rewarding.
Too hot  8) banana
Too cold  8) clove
Just right  :( fairly neutral

RobShamrock

You'd bang on I'd say I was around 20/21c. Clearest brew I've made to date. I'm sure I'll probably drink them all or have a few mates help

Drzava

I put this on two nights ago. First time doing a proper kit hack and working with grains. Distinguished myself by.........forgetting to crush the Carapils.  :-[ :'( Let's hope some of that head enriching goodness got out anyway! Used my recycled yeast from the Craft Range Wheat (simply collected from the end of the FV and put in the fridge). Thought I was in trouble next day (yesterday) when there was no action so wrapped a foil blanket around the FV. Well, I got action - my first blowout (and that in a 33L FV)! Lid of the FV is covered in krausen internally as well. Thankfully it calmed down somewhat and was bubbling merrily this morning, but no need to change the airlock (and it seems to be impossible to get rid of the crud from the pervious airlock as I don't have a tiny brush). No banana smell though (at 23C), in stark contrast to the Craft Range Wheat.

LordEoin

Weird that you'd get banana from the original but not this if you're using the same yeast at the same temperature

Drzava

There's a bit of banana now but not nearly as much. Temp is the same (more by accident than design TBH).

Drzava

Down to 1.012 last night (4 days) so the yeast has been working hard. Still bubbling very slowly this morning. Can definitely get the "Blue Moon" taste, but it was a bit watery? No point in judging it this early though I guess! Colour is quite pale; definitely paler than my Craft Range Wheat.

Drzava

Here's a strange one. In the four days since my post above, the gravity hasn't budged from 1.012. So, good to bottle tomorrow right? Weirdly, tbe airlock is still bubbling, albeit slowly (once every few minutes). As the gravity isn't changing, would I be right in supposing that this is a result of dissolved carbon dioxide being slowly released from the beer, and that it's OK to bottle?

LordEoin

yeah, you should be good if the gravity's not dropping any more :)

ronanp

M&S have a Belgium wheat beer with coriander and orange, has anyone tasted it and this recipe to compare?

LordEoin

ronanp

Quote from: LordEoin on August 31, 2015, 06:02:26 PM
M&S? Very fancy !!

Went in to try their scotish larger which got a good right up in one of the papers. They had a range of single hop ales as well, spotted a cascade one and a mosiac one.

Drzava

Bottled this up last night; went for a higher prime rate at 200g for the batch. 44 bottles. Some amount on crud in the FV! Will report back in a week or so.

Drzava

Meant to update this. Nice, mild Blue Moon-ish taste. No head, but in fairness I did forget to crush the carapils! Mostly gone already!

LordEoin