• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 10:23:59 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New Guinness brews.

Started by googoomuck, September 03, 2014, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parky

Quotehow much are you being charged for the west indies porter ? its €2.50 in the offie in clonakilty.........

Not a bad price, just looked it up in O'Briens offie and the West Indies porter is €3.29 - now that's what I call a 'craft beer tax' ... ouch!!!

hopapotamus

December 05, 2014, 02:11:26 PM #16 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:02:35 PM by hopapotamus
€1.26 of extra profit in someones pocket , this notion of a craft beer tax is bollix .......it doesnt help the brewers and it is off putting as a customer to feel ripped off , good import beer being cheeper than irish craft beer is not going to help grow the market for irish beer .
not that im overly worried about guinness, they have had it too good for too long, but the likes of mountain man , blacks ect who have outstanding beers that could be overlooked based on price .

cruiscinlan

Blacks is on offer for 4 for €9 in Dunnes if you're looking for it.

hopapotamus

i got 12 blacks black ipa , and a selection of british beers and a few dunkels ......all 4 for €9 , good for stocking up for the festive season......

Pheeel

The missus was going to Dunnes. Did they have any Blacks? Did they me arse  >:(
Issues with your membership? PM me!

hopapotamus

i hope it wasnt in clonakilty.......if so i am sorry...

Jonnycheech

I had a pint of the Dublin Porter in The Oak, It was on tap so I obviously had to have one. It came with it's own fancy glass, kind of like a Stella Artois glass. Overall I found it to be quite a disappointing experience; the beer was lacking in flavour, very light on body, minimal head and just a bit shit for a stout. And at around €6 (could have been less or more, had a few already but remember I wasn't happy with the price for two) I won't be having another! Poor effort Guinness IMHO!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

molc

Aye it's very poor. Plain Guinness is a more tasty due to the lovely mouthfeel whereas this gives the hunt of possible more flavour with everything else being pretty weak.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

delzep

Supping the West indies porter at the moment... It's really nice O0

Is there lactose in it?

Andy Q

West Indies porter is €2.80 in Molloys Ballyfermot, a lot more palletable than 3.30 in Supervalue/O'Briens, I wonder if Tesco/Dunnes will stock it? I think it's a fairly decent drop
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

cruiscinlan

January 06, 2015, 07:30:31 PM #25 Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:06:02 PM by cruiscinlan
No sign of it in Galway when I checked Dunnes and Supervalu.  Just on the blog post, beer nut mentions a Guinness 'essence', where can I read a bit more about that?

[Edit] Actually E3.30 there in Supervalu, Fr. Griffin Rd. in Galway.  I won't bother with it at that price.

Weiss

Picked them up in my local SuperValu at the weekend.

The Dublin one is very weak and tasteless. The WI one, not much better.

Certainly wouldn't have either of them again.
"The world is my lobster"-Keith O'Neill.

Pheeel

The Dublin Porter i had on draught in town a couple of weeks ago. It was quite light tasting for a Porter but i'd probably have it again. Wouldn't bother me arse for €3 a bottle though
Issues with your membership? PM me!

DCLavs

Quote from: irish_goat on December 05, 2014, 09:18:12 AM
Been seeing ads up north for these beers for well over a month now but still no sign of the beer anywhere. I'll give them a go but wouldn't be arsed paying too much for a bottle.

The Beer Nut has a good write-up on the series as well. http://thebeernut.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/whatever-people-say-i-am-thats-what-im.html

Winemark on Clooney Terrace have this IR...2 quid a bottle.I haven't found it anywhere else.Prefer the West Indies one.

irish_goat

Jacks Bar in Derry have it on draught but it tasted like it had line cleaner in it. Had the same problem with the Shandon Stout in there (which Dublin Porter has replaced).