• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 11:36:12 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rebel Barrel 2015; Czech Dark Lager

Started by mr hoppy, November 20, 2014, 10:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

Whatever you want to call it, it's super dark and the wort smelled and tasted great.

mr hoppy

Looking at the recipe, you went fairly heavy on the auld Carafa!

dcalnan

You're definitely going to have to rule me out of making a batch,  I don't have a fermentation chamber , a mash tun or any of the grains for it. I need to get these done in the new year, Santa might be good to me and get me a few things

LordEoin

December 24, 2014, 11:52:25 AM #48 Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:02:35 PM by LordEoin
Quote from: mr hoppy on December 23, 2014, 11:09:36 PM
Looking at the recipe, you went fairly heavy on the auld Carafa!
well feck me. how did i not notice that? that should be 200g! no wonder it's so dark...
i must have typo'd it when putting garry's recipe into beersmith.
ah well, what's done is done and the wort doesn't taste bad for it. when it's in the barrel it'll be unnoticable.
I updated that beersmith file in case anyone else brews from the recipe.

LordEoin

Dr Horrible

Just brewed this yesterday, got 20l at 1.060. Was aiming for 22-23l but forgot to take into account all the volume the leaf hops would soak up (Doh!). Wort tasted good, looking forward to this batch. Pitched Saflager 34/70, never used this yeast before, been 24hrs and although there's a lot of activity at the bottom and CO2 coming off there's still practically no krausen, looks like a real bottom fermenter.

johnrm

Taf

I'd say I'm out for this. Didn't brew over Xmas, and next thing I brew will be something hoppy for fairly immediate consumption.

johnrm

Lets revise the list.
1. Garry 20L
2. Johnrm 20l
3. Dr. Horrible 20L
4. mr hoppy 20l
5. LordEoin 20L
6. dcalnan 20l
7. Brian 20l
8. Taf 20l
9. Raindogxx 20l

We need 2 more contributors.
Anyone else out?

Garry

Quote from: dcalnan on December 24, 2014, 01:46:21 AM
You're definitely going to have to rule me out of making a batch......

Dcalnan is out too. We need 3 more contributors please?

1. Garry 20L
2. Johnrm 20L
3. Dr. Horrible 20L
4. mr hoppy 20L
5. LordEoin 20L
6. Brian 20L
7. Raindogxx 20L

LordEoin

i don't think i'll be able to do a second one. I have this in one fridge and a pilsner in the second fridge.
I might be able to just do it with a brewbelt in the brewdungeon.
I'll check if i have any lager/pilsner malt left when i get home and see from there.

johnrm

I will do a second batch.
I have a STC controlled larder fridge that can take 2 fermenters.

1. Garry 20L
2. Johnrm 20L 1/2
3. Johnrm 20L 2/2
4. Dr. Horrible 20L
5. mr hoppy 20L
6. LordEoin 20L 1/2
7. LordEoin 20L 2/2 possibly
8. Brian 20L
9. Raindogxx 20L

dcalnan

I ordered the parts for my mash tun so I won't have any excuse next time around. Well I don't have a temp controlled fermenter...yet.

Garry

I'm just off the phone to Mr RM. He was inquiring about the barrel's condition. It looks like the barrel is after contracting "hairy hands syndrome". Internally it looks ok but I can't see around corners. What ye think? Is it worth risking?

(click the image for higher resolution)

mr hoppy

Hmm... that's a bit worrying.

Is there any reason why this comes up on the right of my screen when I click through on the barrel image?

This husky appeared while I was pooping in a public restroom. It stared at me for a few seconds and then ran away.