• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 13, 2024, 10:39:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Homebrew Shop] HomeBrewWest

Started by HomeBrewWest, April 08, 2015, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwhiteno50

Quote from: mrwhiteno50 on August 20, 2016, 03:08:37 PM
Fixed the switch, contacts on the switch part were covered in flux not making a good connection wiring a bit rough but works now after cleaning

Leann ull

August 20, 2016, 04:09:42 PM #346 Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:23:01 PM by CH
Quote from: mrwhiteno50 on August 20, 2016, 02:48:23 PM
also a few spots of rust on the inside of the mash bucket

a gentle rub of a sponge scrubbie and apply some neat starsan will repassivate that for you and it will go, I got them a few times when I haven't used my thermopots for ages. Only time you need to worry is if stuff is bubbling through from under the surface

http://howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-b/passivating-stainless-steel

HomeBrewWest

Great advise, thanks CH. We were expecting some problems with pump leaks but didn't see the problem with the switch; we'll let Bulldog know.

The pump arrangement is new in that competing products don't have a connector like this one; the idea is that you can plug the pump out of the brewer and into the sparge heater (on the way). This will reduce the cost of the heater and also avoid hot water at a height (its not gravity fed).
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

SkiBeagle

Very pleased with this system. Simple to use.
It does need a good cleaning before use, as there will be manufacturing oils/grease in places.
I removed the malt pipe, removed the gigantic circlip that holds the malt pipe in the elevated position. There's a lot of grease/gunk in the groove that holds the circlip. Also, the groove in the lid is another place that holds gunk. I replaced the malt pipe, filled the pot with water up to the groove, and set it heating to 60C. Tossed in a dishwater tablet (non-perfumed kind - Lidl have them) and switched on the pump for an hour. The enzymes in the tab really get at any grease. Then I moved the pump outlet to the sink and pumped out the soapy water completely. Next, a few flushes with fresh water to get rid of any soap residue.
Finally, as CH says, I applied some neat Starsan with a sponge to all the surfaces, pipe, pot and all. Wear gloves doing this or you will lose skin. Leave to air dry for 30 minutes while the acid does its magic. Comes up clean as a whistle, no rust or stains, and sparkly ready for use. I've added a short hose on the inside under the lid to prevent the splashing down into the mash. This drops the pumped output below the wort level, to minimise aeration of the wort.
Haven't done a brew with it yet - just getting to know it and how best to use it. I expect it will be cranked up in earnest in the next day or two. Thanks to Brian for a great product at a great price.

Leann ull

+1 on the starsan it maybe homebrew friendly but still an aggressive chemical undiluted.
Hopefully somebody will do a video or pic brewday using one at some point.

auralabuse

Yep, if dodgy wiring on an 18v switch is all you have to worry about on a brewing system at this price you gotta be happy. I didn't get any rust or residue myself but ran it with water and scrubbed when it all boiled up. Starsan sprayed and im ready for my first brew this week

HomeBrewWest

August 22, 2016, 01:19:18 AM #351 Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:13:48 PM by LordEoin
Thanks guys. The feedback from you is crucial. We're passing it all on the the manufacturers.

We've offered good pricing on these initial units; teething problems are not unexpected, but still unacceptable as far as we are concerned.

So if there are any issues that you can't easily fix let us know and we will replace / repair asap. We ordered a few spare units just in case . . .  so we have replacement parts here in Galway.

If you needed Starsan to clean the unit then just email us with your next order and we'll throw in one for free.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Dr Brown Ale

Did a brew on Saturday, everything worked a treat. Even the pump  ;)

I think it took about 15 mins or so to get from ~20c to 65c strike temp, but I wasn't paying enough attention to timings on that.

It holds temp pretty well, and after the batch sparge it took about 25 minutes to get from 60c to boiling, on 2500 power. The 700w kept a nice rolling boil for the hour, then the chiller took about 25 to 30 minutes to take the wort down to pitching temp.

Very easy to clean afterwards too.

I like how easy it is to set the timer and temp control, one thing I would like is for the timer to only kick in once the temp you set is reached, I have a Brewferm kettle, and it has this feature which is handy. Also, an alarm for the timer would be the job.

I also wish it was graduated in some way, to measure losses to grain and boil.

It's a great piece of kit, and well worth the money.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 19, 2016, 07:01:12 PM
I should have pricing soon and will put in on the web site before the malt arrives.

Were you also going to get in Maris Otter?

HomeBrewWest

On hold for now, we are getting Viking soon and are short of room.

HomeBrewWest

Anybody want to make Sahti beer? We can get the authentic malt for it.

Pheeel

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 27, 2016, 08:40:04 PM
Anybody want to make Sahti beer? We can get the authentic malt for it.

What would the recipe be with the authentic malt? The recipe I remember had pilsner, Munich and rye. Are you going to sell the juniper twigs too?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

HomeBrewWest

Sahti malt. Its a blend of pils and speciality malts that ensures the amylase activity and FAN levels are sufficiently high for fermentation. Its the real deal and this malt is what's used to make the commercial versions. I presume its never been available here before and hence the alternate adjuncts?

We have some on the way, but would get a lot more if there was a demand for it.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 27, 2016, 09:48:15 PMI presume its never been available here before and hence the alternate adjuncts?

We have some on the way, but would get a lot more if there was a demand for it.

I don't think sahti malt has been here before alright. Have you got the juniper branches etc. on the way?

HomeBrewWest

We already have juniper berries. Will look into the twigs. An interesting beer, long step mashing ideal for the bulldog Brewer; you don't need to boil hops.