• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:44:33 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Newbie to recipe brewing

Started by jimbuckleybarrett, December 12, 2016, 01:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbuckleybarrett

Hi,

So basically over the last year I be just brewing the packet stuff - just pour into the water and wait.

Really I wanted to get into creating the brew from scratch.

Where do I start?  Is there a list of items that I need?

Sorry about this but I'm completely new and don't know where to start ....

Thanks,
jim

ac13

You have a couple of options about how you could go with this.

The next logical step would be kit hacking (Wiki Entry). This is basically using kits with additional ingredients to change up flavours and styles.

You then have Extract Brewing which uses malt extracts and other ingredients to create a beer from scratch. This requires a little extra equipment from the beer kits. Basically a big stock pot.

Then you have all grain, which uses malt, hops etc in their base form and is pretty much the same method as breweries use on a smaller scale. Here is a Wiki Entry that outlines all-grain brew in a bag style brewing.

Qs

If you really want to go for it you can jump straight into all grain.  It's not that hard and a lot of people don't bother with the extract and partial mashing these days.  It's definitely a personal choice.  The main thing to know about all grain if you are considering it is that you need a big block of time.  Probably 6 or 7 hours at first but you can knock that down to around 5 once you get used to it. 

Keep an eye on the for sale section on here.  Often people are selling good sets of eqiluipment that will suit a beginner.  Been loads of bargains had recently.

vinyljunkie

Have a look at Brew in a bag (BIAB) brewing, I started doing it recently. I've made two really nice brews so far.

nigel_c

Straight to all grain.
DO IT. DO IT. You know you want to.
Lots of info on the site but sitting in on a buddies all grain brew day is probably the easiest way. Join up a local club and see how it goes.

molc

Also get brewing classic styles or another well established recipe book. It will guide you through your first few brews and help you get an idea of the makeup of different styles of beer. After you have a few of those under your belt you can start branching out and tweaking or designing your own recipes
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

Qs

Yeah brewing classic styles is a must for any new brewer, AG or extract.