• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 03:07:45 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Club Cup 2017

Started by irish_goat, February 16, 2017, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Yep nominated in advance by PM to IG for each club

giacomo

Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on February 16, 2017, 08:39:21 PM
So in capital we should just tell the weaker brewers not to declare for the club then, is that it? That hardly drives an inclusive club, does it?

There is a fantastic atmosphere at the Capital meets, where knowledge is shared from simply amazing brewers to people starting out with kits, extract and what have you. To discourage those people from brewing and entering beers in competitions under the Capital banner is not what the NHC should be about.

It seems to me the "smaller" regional clubs are trying to force a split in the Capital group or something
+1 all the way.

And further: the aim of clubs should be to encourage and help new brewers entering; the nomination process (moreover when announced early enough :P) allows less experienced brewers to go through an objective analysis of what they brew, which is invaluable learning, and give them the same chance of the best club brewers...

I think a club that has been investing on growing 5 new homebrewers to a decent level should deserve to win, if compared with a 1-man-club that won 5 gold medals... The medals and individual prises are there to recognize the ability of the singles :)

LASERBOY147

The rules seem to have been changed???? extremely late in the day. It was made clear several months ago that the club cup had to be decided on , using 5 DIFFERENT ENTRANTS from  1 club. This was decided  in order to make it more inclusive.
If you're now changing that then I think that's actually a mistake. ?????? Please rethink this.  Rules are best sorted out months in advance.... it took me some time to organise the Midlands Beer club to nominate 1 beer each and now I look a bit stupid for insisting on it. Come on lads let's start sharpening up on the easy stuff .

Also regards which cats are judged on which days should be cleared up to allow for 2 things.
1) people attending who might have entries but will now not know if they're being judged same day
2) & y DIPA needs a wee bit xtra time to carb. Tytyty in advance for keeping dipa cat til next leg if possible.

Leann ull

Quote from: LASERBOY147 on February 17, 2017, 08:00:46 AM
2) & y DIPA needs a wee bit xtra time to carb. Tytyty in advance for keeping dipa cat til next leg if possible.

Bubbles

& y DIPA needs a wee bit xtra time to carb. Tytyty in advance for keeping dipa cat til next leg if possible.

Are you for real?

In 5 years that's the first time I've ever seen anyone asking to have categories reorganised to give their beer the best chance of winning.. you do realise that specific judges are already lined up to judge certain categories?

Leann ull

Lads the club cup is always tricky to organise as is all parts of the comp.
The organisers have called it for this time and we need to respect their position.
Brand new team this year running and some really positive steps are being made which is better for all entrants versus when it was done in Bull and Castle 4 years ago.
New lessons are learned every year, it's always going to evolve and new stuff tried adopted moulded or dropped.
It's only a beer competition at the end of the day run by individuals giving up their own time so we should be conscious of that in our requests.
As regards advising what's being judged where, entrants should be showing up to both venues not picking and choosing if they really are that interested and passionate about how their beers perform.
Better still whilst there they could volunteer help in running on the day or get a feel for what's involved I know that help is always always appreciated as many hands make things run much smoother.
Best of luck to all tomorrow.

delzep

Quote from: Bubbles on February 17, 2017, 08:52:27 AM
& y DIPA needs a wee bit xtra time to carb. Tytyty in advance for keeping dipa cat til next leg if possible.

Are you for real?

In 5 years that's the first time I've ever seen anyone asking to have categories reorganised to give their beer the best chance of winning.. you do realise that specific judges are already lined up to judge certain categories?

I think he was joking. Relax

Bubbles

Perfectly relaxed. Thanks.

Dr Brown Ale

ah come on lads, that was clearly a joke

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

There's a lot of rage here today. Come on lads, it's Friday.

The change is too late though, there's no way to change it.

We understood in Midlands that it was 5 beers and each beer was from one different brewer. Since nothing concrete was announced, even though it was asked for, that's what we did.
We have our 5 beers picked. There likely isn't enough time to change that now.

Even if there was, I'm not sure we would want to. It's more fair at a club level to select only one beer from a brewer. It's likely not as smart a way to win the cup though. It means that we can't just enter 5 beers from a brewer we know is probably good for all 5 medals.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Kellie

The same with us in South Kildare.........we chose one beer from 5 different brewers, at the end of the day its a stick a pin in a black hole, you never know how a beer is going to be judged on the day, what tastes nice to us as a club might be awful to the judges.

Its is supposed to be a bit of fun and we had a great meet tasting beers from all of South Kildare Brewers.

I have to say my head is melted at the moment lads, We are doing the best we can, whilst trying to work and live our lives! I have so much to do today to ensure tomorrow runs like clock work and then get up in the morning dust my self down from the hectic week and SMILE!!

Its a competition guys, lets be a club and enjoy it!  :) :)

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

One other thing. Can one of the organisers be sure to contact every club rep ASAP, as in the next couple of hours?

We can't rely on them all noticing this thread is here. They need to be informed now if they are to finalise their decisions in less than 24 hours.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

DEMPSEY

Liffey brewers did same, 5 beers 5 Brewers. Good luck with all clubs :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Dunkel

Just my thoughts - for NEXT year, why not try Will's suggestion? I feel using scores rather than medals gives a fairer result e.g. my super-double-coconut & mango stout may score a 42, but be beaten by a 43, 44 and 45; but it's still a damn good beer, and better than a beer that scored 36 but won a gold medal as there were only three entries in that category.

Quote from: Will_D on February 16, 2017, 08:21:15 PM
The only fair way is to weight the scores by the size of the entries.

Why nominate?

Just evaluate the total club scores and divide by number of entries which you surely would have to do for the "nominated 5"

NCB have not assessed our entries!!

Leann ull

Only problem with that is that some judges can have a significant point discrepancy in their judging, so I know judges that would award 38 and 45 for the same beer
Organisers look at judges scoring and judging sheets every year and they are given feedback on the day.
No medals anymore either for 3 entry cats they are all merged now.
Looking forward to your super-double-coconut & mango stout