• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 23, 2024, 04:00:22 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cleaning products

Started by Donny, March 07, 2017, 11:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Might just have to chuck so ☹️

Fatcontro11er

Was thinking that! Grasping at straws!!!!!

Jonnycheech

Quote from: CH on March 08, 2017, 08:16:53 PM
Soak with water and SS.

So it's ok to leave Oxy on SS for prolonged periods? I have Oxy sitting in some cornies awhile now.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Leann ull

March 09, 2017, 07:37:18 AM #18 Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:48:02 AM by CH
I know on stainless for oxy it's different and you are ok , I don't store any chemicals in my cornies especially SSan as I had small amount of pitting in a very old one I managed to scrub out, although manufacturers would say thats impossible
In hard water areas you may get mineral deposits but will come off with conc SS.
Not great for aluminium
Bleach should not be left in prolonged contact with stainless
Vwp should not have long contact time either.
Sure there is a wiki somewhere about cleaning or read a post recently as to what is and isn't suitable.
Emphasis on all of the above is short soak to clean and make up your starsan fresh for optimum effectiveness.

Leann ull

Quote from: Fatcontro11er on March 09, 2017, 07:10:59 AM
Was thinking that! Grasping at straws!!!!!

you could try some campden in it but personally Id chuck

Donny

The OXY clean I got worked perfectly. 30min at around 45c and the kingkeg is sparkling inside. Now just to get a new cap, pressure float and tap. Tempted to get a sparkler tap off amazon as I can't find them here at home.

Bzfeale80

Anyone here find that wiki on cleaning of equipment? I had a quick look in wiki section and did not see any specific post about cleaning. I will chance using W5 oxy on a mash tun with a fairly weak concentration to try and remove some dirt and stains on inside of it and for cleaning an immersion worth chiller and keggles based on the information posted here

Qs

I could be misremembering this but I don't think you're supposed to use Oxy on copper (if thats what your IC is made of).

helmet

Quote from: Qs on June 23, 2017, 01:28:13 PM
I could be misremembering this but I don't think you're supposed to use Oxy on copper (if thats what your IC is made of).
Any truth in this? I've been flushing my counterflow with oxy.

Gerryjo

Quote from: Fatcontro11er on March 09, 2017, 05:21:04 AM
I must have left it soaking for too long! But any amount of soaking  in water hasn't got rid so far!
+1 on the starsan.I've left some hose's soaking and has turned them opaque and leaves them with a slimy feel.