• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 04, 2024, 07:42:52 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

All Grain Brewing Equipment

Started by kman, February 05, 2016, 12:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kman

Hi All

So, I tried a couple of kits then moved onto extract and have now well and truly caught the brewing bug. Time to try my hand at all grain.....

Still a newby and am trying to expand my knowledge so feel free to make suggestions, but as I see it the following is the additional kit I need (primarily interested in brewing Ales, but may do the odd Pilsner/larger/stout in the future). Am trying to source second hand to keep down cost (based in Galway but willing to travel)-

1. Heavy duty Stainless Boiler/kettle  - 30L (min capacity), electric or stock pot with gas burner (inbuilt tap & thermometer desirable but not essential).
2. Stainless Immersion Wort Chiller (may consider plate chiller if price was right) - suitable for chilling up to 27l in a reasonable time (<30mins)
3. Digital Thermometer with probe
4. Insulated Mash tun - will probably start with BIAB but if someone is selling a complete setup would definitely be interested
5. Grain Mill - will probably initially get my local homebrew store to do, but again if someone is selling a complete setup.......

Cheers

K

darren996

Hi Kman

I would go for a 50 l stockpot and throw a couple of haden or peco elements in there. I wouldnt get hung up on inbuilt taps etc, the weldless options all work well. Get a bazooka screen as well.
2. Copper is better at cooling than stainless. Immersion chillers work really well and are easy to clean an steralise. Plate chillers can be used to chill straight to fermenter and can save you time.
3. Yes, digital thermos offer fast temp readings.
4. Start with biab, less equipment, shorter brew day, same result. Build to 3 vessel if thats what your preference is.
5. Get your brew shop to crush. Order as close to brewday as possible and buy a mill down the line.

kman

Thanks for the pointers Darren. Good to know I'm on the right lines....

Had initially thought about making my own immersion chiller by bending a length of copper pipe, however had been advised that stainless was better as copper tended to tarnish when not in use (and was a bugger to clean). Any thoughts?

Cheers

Keith

Pheeel

Copper is fine. It can tarnish but I've never had any issues after using mine for 2+ years. You give it a wipe and it'll be fine

Start with BIAB and get your HBS to crush the grains
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Leann ull

Copper has the best heat transfer properties.
Avoid the temptation to starsan before and after use a blast of cold water is all you need

darren996

+1 on what the lads have said.
Here is my next project may be of interest and cheap to build

https://byo.com/mead/item/2849-double-pipe-wort-chiller-projects

Leann ull

Trombone chillers are efficient but have a massive floor footprint by say comparison to a double coil or counter flow.
Would love to see the finished article.
Damo on here sells silicone tubing.

darren996

Hopefully will have this in the next couple of months, just getting parts at the mo.  I will thow the build up in the equipment section

darren996

Quote from: kman on February 08, 2016, 10:00:35 AM
Thanks for the pointers Darren. Good to know I'm on the right lines....

Had initially thought about making my own immersion chiller by bending a length of copper pipe, however had been advised that stainless was better as copper tended to tarnish when not in use (and was a bugger to clean). Any thoughts?

Cheers

Keith
Making you own gear is one of the things I love about brewing. If you are thinking of diy for your chiller there are plenty of tuts on youtube.

Heres one that caught my eye
https://youtu.be/S94Lhp-bv8M.

kman

Lol, That's the one I'd planned to make Darren.

DEMPSEY

Note to youtube pipe bender person,when you start to bend the pipe why not leave the first 400mm straight in the first place. This way you will not need to straighten it and will have no kinks in it to then cause you to kink it later. Just saying like ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us