• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 07:14:17 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brehon Killanny Red

Started by The Bull, December 30, 2016, 09:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bull

I had a bottle of Brehon Brewhouse - Killanny Red over the Christmas. I thought it delicious.

Anyone got any ideas about a recipe to get in the ball park of this?

I know for a Red I'll need a small amount of roasted barley to get the colour.

But there is a depth/richness of flavour in this beer that I find hard to describe and therefore hard to know where to start!! From recollection I think the flavours were similar to those I enjoyed in a Dungarvan Black Rock Stout.

Caramel Malts? Chocolate malt? Maybe a hint pinch of Oatmeal??

My previous Red Ale attempt (below) was only ok, so now looking to tweak it in an effort to steer it toward the profile of the Killanny Red mentioned above.

Grains:
Maris Otter                 2.5kg
Maris Otter (Liquid)    1.5kg
Biscuit Malt 50 EBC    200g
Carahell Weyermann   200g
Torrified Wheat             80g
Roasted Barley             80g   (think this was too much as ale was brown rather than red)

East Kent Golding 50g (60mins)

TheSumOfAllBeers

Look out for the malt bill for thornbridge Colorado red. A bit of searching should get you exactly what you need for the colour.

Qs

Quote from: Mag108 on December 30, 2016, 09:33:16 AM
Roasted Barley             80g   (think this was too much as ale was brown rather than red)

Don't think that should be a big problem. I've used it to get quite dark red/amber in some beers. Hows your clarity? I always found my red ales looked brown before I got my clarity sorted. I'd also look at the rest of your grainbill when looking for that red hue, a bit of vienna helps in my experience. Also maybe try carared instead of the carahell or just a touch of C120.