• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 01:03:38 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Replacing a dodgy heating element

Started by alan, March 19, 2017, 08:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan

I have this heating element http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brouwland-heating-element-for-mashing-bin-3272-p.asp and I have terrible trouble completing a 90 minute boil with it. It seems to trigger the dry boil/overheat sensor and just turn off. This is the 3rd time I've had it die on me half-way through a boil and it's ruined the batch of beer. I thought I wasn't cleaning it correctly, but at this stage i just have to blame the element itself.

What do people recommend as a decent heating element that won't let me down?

Leann ull

That element is fine.
I have 2 questions,
1) are you boiling high OG wort in it?
2) have you scrubbed it to within an inch of its life so that it is shiny after each use.
Please post a picture of it in its present condition

alan

March 19, 2017, 08:30:25 PM #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:50:34 PM by alan
The batch I'm doing right now was 1.050 pre-boil. I checked on it a few times and I think i probably got at least 70 minutes out of it before the boiler gave up on me. I was doing a wheat beer and I think that might be long enough that I won't have to just chuck it out.

The element itself was super shiny after being scrubbed after the last brew and again before this one. I even used a bit of lemon juice to try and ensure everything was cleaned off. I saw that recommended on other boards. I'll be able to take a picture of it once I clean it again after this attempt :p

EDIT: Just for more context - the first time this happened I did check online in case it was a common issue. The information I found said that it's mostly caused by too much sugar/gunk baking onto the heating coil. Since then I've been much more careful about cleaning it thoroughly.

Leann ull

Are you using 1 or 2 in boiler?
What vol are you boiling?

alan

I just have 1 heating element and this time round it was about 26L at the start of the boil

Leann ull

Hmm you are doing all the right stuff
Post a couple of pics
Try and boil 26l of water with it.
If it trips out look at replacing with a ulwd one from one of the many UK suppliers homebrew builder, angel homebrew etc

alan

Here's the element after it's first clean after todays brew. I generally give it a second going-over just before using it again.

Leann ull

Looks ok did you just spend last hour scrubbing
Are you adding in sugar or anything? During boil
Does the lead and connector get very hot in use?
Why 90 min boil, lager?
Go with water for 90 mins and then if it craps out again turn element 180 degrees to avoid localised hot spot on bottom.
Are you using hop spider near it?

alan

I didn't use sugar during the boil for this one. My previous beer was an 8% (ish) belgian blonde and I did add sugar to that. It also cut out towards the end of the boil but I ratonalised that one by saying it did have quite a high sugar content :p

I have tried swapping the lead but that didn't help, and the connector in the bucket never seems unusually hot. I have tried with just water before and it seemed ok, but i probably didn't do a full 90 mins with it. I might try rotating it around alright and see if it helps!

Leann ull

PS Alan don't forget to introduce yourself and join up for more free advice that will save you money in the long run  ;)

H.w .a.. .o... .... y.. ...e .. .... .....r?

More help requires Full Membership decryption  :P

Will_D

Hang on a minute here!

Simple kettle elements like the one pictured do not have sophisticated safety circuits (like burcos and the like)

At most the old ones had a spring loaded thermal plunger thingy that physically ejected the kettle lead if the kettle boiled dry!

How do I know? I am 65 and went to a school that had studys for the 6th form!

Ah what we didn't learn about electrics in the late 60s! Blow a 30 amp fuse? Just use a small nail!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing