• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 02:16:16 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Spare Kettle Elements

Started by Andy Q, October 04, 2017, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Q

Hi All,

What are people doing these days when their Elements are shot?
The only one I can find is €35 by the time you buy the lead too, and it's a killer given that Charlie Shiels was €11 last time,
(they have said they stock a different type of element these days, but haven't had the chance to check it yet)

All help welcome as always,

Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

Snuff

Buy a Tesco value kettle, take out the element - about a tenner.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

Shanna

I bought three 13amp * 2.7kw electric elements from these guys about 18 months ago. http://www.backerelectric.com/products/kettle_elements.asp

As they are the old style round pin elements you either need to buy a lead with a round bakelite plug and wire them yourself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spares2go-Universal-Element-Connector-Grommet/dp/B00TFTKXNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507136182&sr=8-1&keywords=Universal+13+Amp+Round+Pin+Kettle+Plug+Element+Connector+%26+Cable+Grommet

I bought 6 metres of flex from a local electrical supplier (can't remember the gauge think it was around 2) and wired them myself.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Andy Q

quick update, found the attached in Charlie Shiels for €10.
It would be no use for a new build due to the lack of casing, but should work when just used for an element replacement,
Mightn't have to upgrade my 10 year old boiler just yet, although probably should, along the with the mash tun, as it is that old too!

Thanks for the help,

Andy
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

johnrm

No reason not to use the element.
Use box like this...

And crimps like this...

Maybe a gland to remove tension...