• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 09:29:18 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Residue on kettle after boiling with a BIAB.

Started by bazbart, December 27, 2018, 11:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazbart

Hi all,

I've just started BIAB recently with 2 brews under my belt. It's been more downs than ups I have to admit. Each time I boil my wort after mashing for the hour I am getting a lot of residue on the inside of the kettle. It's covering the lid and the exposed internal walls of the kettle. When I add the hons (pellet type) some of the hop residue is on the inside of the kettle also. I'm also getting a lot of particles in the boil which I think is the same residue as on the sides and lid just in the wort.
Am I doing something wrong? Boiling too vigorously?
Have to admit it's putting me off BIAB so would really appreciate any advice or info to put me straight.  Or is this this part of the process? I'm thinking not though.

TIA.

johnrm

Howdy and welcome.
Sounds normal enough.
Pictures would help though.
What volume is your kettle?
Lid on or off for the boil?

DEMPSEY

don't fear the foam. It's normal to have this stuff. Some protein is what it mostly would be. The hops debris often  gets stuck to the sides from the boiling motion,quite normal too. Some people put hops in a sock which is handy but if you do that make sure they have of room to agitate in the bag to get full use of them. I like to go commando style meself with the hops to get that full boil out of them.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

bazbart

I've no pics I'm afraid. The residue is brown gunk and only happens during the boil. I have a 30 litre Peco kettle and I usually boil with the lid either ajar or on. I do put the pellets into a sock and then into the wort but even still I still get the greeny coloured residue over the brown. If you know what I mean.
I'm happy you both are saying it's normal was getting worried that I was perhaps overboiling it.

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

bazbart

mr hoppy

And clean any gunk off ASAP after each brew. It can harden.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

molc

Brewing; it be messy :) There's a lot of protein break both pre and post boil when working with grain rather than extract. As others have said, boil uncovered and then just get the elbow grease out after a brew and clean it off.

It's totally normally and actually the sign of healthy hot and cold protein brakes, which you need or you possibly end up with chill haze.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter