• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 10:32:45 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

JANET'S BROWN ALE

Started by Impaler, February 01, 2019, 09:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Impaler

I would like to brew Janet's Brown ale recipe from Jamils Brewing Classic Styles, I wonder what is it like in comparison to Lidl's American Brown Ale from Rye River?

phynes1

I brewed this before, great recipe.

Its a completely different beer in all but colour to those 2 examples. Its fair bit stronger in ABV. And its way hoppier.   

PH

Qs

Its like a stronger version of the Rye River but hits similar notes IMO. Then again I've made it twice on  different systems and both iterations were quite different to each other so YMMV.

Pheeel

Janet's is closer to a brown IPA than an American Brown
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Jonnycheech

Yeah it's a much hoppier version. You'd need to cut the hop additions to get closer to the LIDL American Brown, if that's what you're after.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Impaler

Original recipe:

American two-row malt - 5.44kg
Wheat malt - 0.45kg
CaraPils Dextrin Malt - 0.56kg
Crystal 40 - 0.56kg
Chocolate Malt - 227g

Northern Brewer - Mash Hop Addition  - 28g
Northern Brewer - 60 min. - 36g
Northern Brewer - 15 min.- 28g
Cascade - 10 min - 43g
Cascade - 0 min - 43g
Centennial - Dry Hop - 57g

What would be grain bill/ hop additions in your opinion of Rye River's Brown ale?
I'm not trying to nail it just to get a feel. As it is the only American Brown Ale I get to taste. Well and I like it a lot.

irish_goat

I brewed the Janet's Session Brown Ale for BrewCon a few years back. First keg was too green but the 2nd keg 3 weeks later was delicious. Must brew it again someday.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/574900/session-janets-brown-ale

Pheeel

If you have brewing classic styles I think the dirty brown water recipe is closer to a proper American Brown. Moose Droll is one the best browns I've ever had the pleasure to drink and I'd say it's pretty closw!

Qs

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/can-you-brew-it-recipe-for-big-sky-moose-drool.175358/

Brewing Network did a Can You Brew It episode on Moose Drool, recipes there. Always worth listening to the episode for more tips if you do a CYBI recipe too.

Pheeel

Nice! Gonna put that on my brew list. Backlog is getting big due to the Nationals