• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 15, 2024, 08:54:45 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best NEIPA Hops???

Started by JMK8, March 13, 2019, 10:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMK8

Hi all, I am making a NEIPA and I will be double dry hopping with about 20-25g per litre.  I am thinking of going with galaxy, mosiac, el dorado and azacca.  I want a real stone fruit flavour juice bomb NEIPA.  ABV will be around 6.5-7.5% that's to be decided.

Thanks

mick02

Quote from: JMK8 on March 13, 2019, 10:10:28 PM
Hi all, I am making a NEIPA and I will be double dry hopping with about 20-25g per litre.  I am thinking of going with galaxy, mosiac, el dorado and azacca.  I want a real stone fruit flavour juice bomb NEIPA.  ABV will be around 6.5-7.5% that's to be decided.

Thanks
Howya horse? You're on to a winner with that combo, I would also suggest citra and/or equanot too either as well as or in place of some of the ones you've already mentioned. If you're doing a NEIPA then I can't stress strongly enough that you use the freshest hops available to you. There's no point in brewing that style and not investing in the freshest hops. I would also advise in saving some cash by not ddh the beer. In my experience there is not a lot to be gained by ddh. If you've got fresh ingredients then only 1 dry hop will get you where you a great NEIPA.
NHC Committee member

JMK8

My last IPA I did a single dry hop at 12.5 grams per litre with citra, mosiac, el dorado and galaxy and it turned out great.  I just wanted to be a bit bolder with the hop flavour this time.  Funny equanot, citra, simcoe and vic secret where the other hops I was considering.  After reading your reply it might just depend on what is the freshest hops I can get my hands on.  Thanks for the reply!

pob

Are you using water addictions? If not, will have quite an effect on hop flavour & aroma.

JMK8

No not at the minute.  I only started homebrewing last October.  It's something I don't actually know much about as I only brew 5-10litre batches at a time, but something I have been reading more into.  Do you need to get your water tested before carrying out any additions to know more about it's chemistry?

pob

Yep, need to get it tested or depending if you are on the same stable water source as an existing brewer they may have one, you could use. (Hint: get down to your local homebrew club & get loads of handy advice; they don't bite, well normally don't ;))

In the meantime, you could use Tesco's Ashbeck water as a good neutral base (as recommended by Dr Jacoby).

Without correct water profile/additions, you can waste a lot of money throwing hops at your beers, where they appear muted/dull. It's like cooking food without salt, it just allows them to shine through. A years supply of waters salts & a micro/accurate scales cost ~€15.

If you are using BeerSmith, have a look here & here.

Potentially you could end up using less hops to get the same result, without any of the grassy/vegetal effects of using wheelbarrow loads.

JMK8

Unfortunately I am not near any homebrewing clubs I am about an hour or more away from the only two I know up north.  Might be worth looking into getting my water tested.  Thanks for the advice!

molc

Neipa is one of the few styles where you really need to tweak the water for chlorides and sulphates, otherwise you don't get the smoothest.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Jonnycheech

Yeah NEIPA water chemistry is definitely different to standard IPA water. I think common thinking is that the chloride:sulphate ratio should be at least 1:1, where the chloride doesn't go over 200ppm. I've heard of some pushing it to 3:1 to really pump the mouthfeel up.

I'd try 1:1 initially if you are going to mess with the water, and 2:1 for the next batch to compare. Hopefully it turns out great, it's a lovely style when done well, and dangerously drinkable at high abv.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled: