• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 02:12:31 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Conical fermenter connections

Started by Maltus Maximus, March 27, 2019, 11:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maltus Maximus

Hi All,

So slowly I'm progressing on with the design of my 70 liter conical fermenter.. I have some questions about connections onto the base and top of the tank:

1. I'm planning to use 1 1/2" butterfly valves at the bottom outlet, and the sample valve halfway down the cone - what are the thoughts on using camlock connections to fit these valves or is a flanged fitting best? I wanted to avoid threaded connections & PTFE tape entirely...

2. The lid will be secured via clamps and removable for cleaning. In the lid I need to route a flow and return to the 1/2"cooling loop - what's the best way route this through the lid in way that will secure yet still allow access to thoroughly clean?

3. What is the standard dimensions or fitting for connecting the airlock - are there any factors to do with this to be wary of?

4. When bottling out of the fermenter I plan to connect up a CO2 bottle & regulator to the vent - does anyone know what the standard connection for this is?

5. Should the temperature transmitter pocket go to the center or remain close to the wall of the tank? I have a concern that if it goes to the center that it would get caught up with the cooling coil that might give false readings when the cooling coil is circulating.

I know it's a lot of questions but any help or assistance to part or all of the above greatly appreciated!

If there's anything I have missed out on or any other connections/design considerations that would benefit please let me know.

Thanks again!

Maltus Maximus

TheSumOfAllBeers

Short answer: look into triclamp fittings. Will drive up your build cost, but solves most of your questions.

Will share pics of my conical later, will show you my top port for gas in connectors, etc

Maltus Maximus

Thanks for the advice on the triclamps - that's what i'd meant when I called them camlocks..!

Would be interested to see any pics you have to hand.

MM

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: Maltus Maximus on March 29, 2019, 10:32:43 AM
Thanks for the advice on the triclamps - that's what i'd meant when I called them camlocks..!

Would be interested to see any pics you have to hand.

MM

I put this on the top of the conical tri clamp port:

A tri clamp T
Blow off tube adapter
Gas post