• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 02:37:00 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Thermometer probe

Started by Alex Lawes, January 26, 2013, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Lawes

I've bought a chest freezer for going into lagering and keg conditioning.
We're getting the STC-1000, but I'm just wondering what kind of probe you guys use for to take the temp of the fermenting wort while it's in there?
Are there any cheap probes on the market that I can keep sanitary and immersed in there?

rukkus

I use the one that comes with the stc and tape it to outside of fermenter. I just put a small square of insulation over it so it doesnt measure outside temps.

Alex Lawes

Thanks Rukkus.

Would the brewbelt affect it though? I'll definitely give it a go.

rukkus

Try and keep them far apart and have the probe insulated.

Alex Lawes

LordEoin

there'll be a few inches break in the belt as it doesn't go the whole way around.
Put the probe over that.
I have it encased in a bit of packaging foam and strapped on with some random elastic strap.

Will_D

Quotethere'll be a few inches break in the belt as it doesn't go the whole way around.
Put the probe over that.
I have it encased in a bit of packaging foam and strapped on with some random elastic strap.

It may be better to measure temp at just below the top of the beer due to convection effects. The bit of unheated belt and whats below will be the coolest. Above the belt will be the warmest.

Its up to you!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

January 28, 2013, 01:47:55 PM #7 Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:48:14 PM by DEMPSEY
Why are you not going to put the probe into the FV to measure the temp. If you get a short piece of stainless steel pipe and cap the end of it,you can fit it as a well.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

LordEoin

January 28, 2013, 09:37:58 PM #8 Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:38:48 PM by eoinlayton@hotmail
Will - i never thought about it to be honest. when the brew is most active it's pretty hectic in there. I generally have it about half way up the FV over the break to avoid the rising warm air from the belt, but i'll try sticking it higher to see if there's much of a difference.

Dempsey - suppose it's just another chance for infection that I'd rather eliminate than mitigate.

Ciderhead

January 28, 2013, 10:28:53 PM #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:45:58 PM by Ciderhead
Fermenting wort generates a few degrees

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/probe-temperature-sensor-water-tank-sensor-tube-solar-water-heater-/271140191158?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D5202886120487488640%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D281031103987%26

and put an stc1000 down it to measure temp as I have on my HLT.
But why go to the trouble and LCD strip on the side tells you +/- 1 Degree

LordEoin

aye, it seems like more hassle than it's worth. STC probe strapped to the side and insulated will be grand.

Alex Lawes

Thanks for the link to that probe Ciderhead,

I can fit two FV's in the freezer so I'd rather heat the ambient temp of the box rather than buy two brew belts I think. It's an even heat which I'd say would be better suited to the efficiency of the whole technique.

If I do the probe thing I'll post pics of the project if I attempt it.