• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
September 20, 2024, 11:21:11 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Silver vac pack bags

Started by nigel_c, June 13, 2013, 11:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

Anyone know where you can get the silver vac pack bags like the home brew company use? I've been trying a few different bags and these are the only type that seal perfect every time.

johnrm

I have no idea, but curious to know what sealer you've got.
I've an Andrew James, takes the ribbed bags.

nigel_c

I have the one that was on in Lidl about 6 months or so ago. What bags do you use? ribbed ? EEEEwwww  :'(

nigel_c

In mine they are the only ones that work. Cant beat Lydl consistency. I must check in with the old butchers i worked with and see if I can nab some top end vac bags off them.

Damien M

I got one of the Lidl Vac Sealers but have ran out of Bags.

Where can replacement bags be got??

nigel_c

Yeah the vac bags didnt last that long plus were not the best. Heard of someone using sandwich bags of some sort. would love to get the silver foil bags though. good heavy duty type. Keep in all the hoppy goodness.

nigel_c

I found a place that does them and emailed them about prices and a possible discount on a group buy.
Will report back.

nigel_c

Got an email back from them...

For 600 mylar bags 25x35cm we can do a special bulk price of £234, if you can manage 1000 bags we can do a further 7.5% off so £360.75.

If I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me again, for example if you need oxygen absorbers to go with them etc.

Regards,

What u guys think?
Anyone interested in a stack of Mylar bags?

christhebrewer

Remember lads only embossed bags will work with the domestic type machines. The machines that suck the air out need the little channels or else they can't get the air out. Smooth bags will only work with chamber type machines (like you see in bucher shops and on master chef).
The only place I have found embossed bags at any reasonable price is
http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/.
Delivery cost is the big problem.
Where did you find the mylar foil bags?

Ciderhead

Thats why we have Parcel Motel, thanks for the link Chris as I was getting shafted by Amazon!

Ciderhead

Quote from: nigel_c on June 18, 2013, 05:38:30 PM
Got an email back from them...

For 600 mylar bags 25x35cm we can do a special bulk price of £234, if you can manage 1000 bags we can do a further 7.5% off so £360.75.

If I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me again, for example if you need oxygen absorbers to go with them etc.

Regards,

What u guys think?
Anyone interested in a stack of Mylar bags?

Thats a good price, to me however for storage of hops in mylar bags is an overkill unless you are storing on shelves in the garage potentially exposed to light.
I looked into a small second hand butchers vac sealer and they were looking for close to 800 snots!
I use the heavy embossed gauge bags with a double seal which have excellent O2 permeation values and it goes into the freezer so no light exposure.
I try an use my hops within a couple of years and where the bag has lost its vacuum it gets chucked, I have done experiments with cascade which is the worst offender and I even surprised myself with the results, especially on aroma. 

I also found another use for my sealer by putting ribs in it with a marinade and simmering using HLT for a couple of hours at 80 Degrees and then flash bbq'ing. They are even better if I prep a job lot and freeze and take out and cook as required. 

Padraic

Quote from: Ciderhead on June 19, 2013, 01:31:20 PM
I also found another use for my sealer by putting ribs in it with a marinade and simmering using HLT for a couple of hours at 80 Degrees and then flash bbq'ing. They are even better if I prep a job lot and freeze and take out and cook as required.

Ya can't say all of that without putting together a recipe for the food section! (or the front page, filed under "uses to sell your homebrewing equipment to your partner") pictures too please!!!

Metattron

Boiling your ribs! Sacrilege!  5 hours of hot smoke is what you need.  The ribs too!  ;D
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Ciderhead

Not boiling simmering, where the flavour is permeated into the meat and then flash bbq'ed for crispiness, I have a JD & cajun spice recipe but gonna try it with a drop of RIS lot of it around at the moment  ;)
Hot smoke leaves it dry not moist  :)

Will_D

Any body got contacts in the party balloon field?

They use a thin (cheap) Helium proof mylar/alumised foil to contain Helium. Any material that contains Helium will keep out Oxygen.

SO: If you are really worried: Use a normal Vac bag to seal in the product then just stick it in a balloon bag, suck the air out and seal!

The heavy duty alumised mylar bags are not embossed, are may be thicker than the embossed nnon-pro bags and so need a pro(expensive) sealer
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing