• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 23, 2024, 08:44:40 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kettle leads..

Started by delzep, July 24, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Quote from: Padraic on July 27, 2013, 07:53:37 AM

In other rant news, stop hacking kettles and pay the extra couple of € to get yourself a sealed kettle element from your electrical supplier!

I did that and all they had was the connector in stock...not the lead that goes into the connector!

Padraic

Quote from: delzep on July 27, 2013, 01:58:44 PM

In other rant news, stop hacking kettles and pay the extra couple of € to get yourself a sealed kettle element from your electrical supplier!

I did that and all they had was the connector in stock...not the lead that goes into the connector!

The connector is handy enough to wire and I'm sure you've seen the inside of a plug at some point!

Will_D

Sorry 1.0 mm2 is typically rated at 10 Amps.

Use 1.5mm2 (16 Amps). To be sure to be sure!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

And if you use a 13 Amp (as most do by default) fuse your cable can catch fire!!

A typical fuse blows at 100% overload so your little 10 amp cable may be carrying 26 Amps ???

A fuse protects the cable from a short circuit caused somewhere in the cable ar at the equipment at the end.

You always pick the fuse rating to match the cable/flexible.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

And for balance there are no exposed wires or danger of electrocution or short out on my hacked argos kettle :P
However like anything involving water and electricity just be confident in what you are doing.

Shanna

Watts = amps × volts

Would a 26 amps ampliance not suggest something that consume 5.7kws of power? My hlt has a 5.5 kw heating element connected to a dedicated socket and a 30kw fuse. Just in padding it is earthed to the edge of the pot and also also is wired and mounted inside a water proof junction box using steel and plastic covered guard.

Shanna

Quote from: Will_D on July 28, 2013, 02:15:34 PM
And if you use a 13 Amp (as most do by default) fuse your cable can catch fire!!

A typical fuse blows at 100% overload so your little 10 amp cable may be carrying 26 Amps ???

A fuse protects the cable from a short circuit caused somewhere in the cable ar at the equipment at the end.

You always pick the fuse rating to match the cable/flexible.
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

delzep

Managed to get two kettle leads in a small hardware shop on Mary Street. Problem is they're only 1 metre long. How do I know if my extension leads can be used (one extension for each lead)

Ciderhead

July 29, 2013, 08:10:17 PM #22 Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:26:05 PM by Ciderhead
not likely, and any extension leads needs to be fully unfurled before use and run through separate sockets
I made up my own extensions using 16 amp rated cable, as my B&Q special was getting rather warm.

JD is NHC on call Resident Electrical Engineer, I'm sure he'll comment.

newToBrew

I must confess .. i do use a pc cable also use a bona fide kettle lead
The pc cable - no idea what its rated for - I only use it to heat my strike and sparge water and bring to the boii knock off the element with the pc lead attached once get the hot breiy does get a little warm alright
coz theres always something new to do

delzep

My elements are 2kW.

The cable on my extension lead says 3 x 1.25mm2

Ciderhead

Tube has just given you a carte blanche to sue when the house burns down :)
But as he says you will be ok  ;D

http://www.rospa.com/homesafety/aroundtheuk/northern-ireland/electricity/flexes-cables/flexes.aspx

dont forget to uncoil the extension lead!

Hop Bomb

I got a c15 hot condition socket in maplin for 4.50e & some heat resistant thick as fu8k cable to make my own kettle lead. Could find any pre made kettle leads in Galway city. The only problem now is the c15 connection is rated to 6 amps. Im running the HBC element with it in my HLT. Am I safe?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

delzep

8.7 amps

I hated that Ohms law craic all the way through college  >:(

helmet

I picked up the makings of a 5m long kettle lead in a wholesalers today. I'm looking to wire an argos element. The lad in the shop told me regular .5mm2 flex would do the job when I explained what I was doing. I just checked the original lead that came with the kettle and it's .75mm2. Will the .5 not take it?

pob

You need a minimum of 1.0mm2 = 10amps (~2400watts).

Preferably 1.5mm2 as its being used for a continuous 1-1.5hr boil.

Remember:
1. Safety first; if you don't know get a pro in.
2. Measure twice, cut once.
3. Make sure you don't overload your house circuits with 2 elements on at same time.
4. See 1!!!