• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 07:52:01 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kettle leads..

Started by delzep, July 24, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Looking for 2 of them with the notches. Tried charlie shiels with no luck. Anywhere else?

Bubbles

The HBC have them, but they're pricey...

Taf

Have plenty of them, but without the notches.

Shane Phelan

I got mine in an electrical store on Talbot street, cant remember what I paid but it was far cheaper than the brewing shop.

Weirdly the guy in the shop didn't know about the notch so make sure to double check that they have one.
Brew Log

Greg2013

Local recycle centre delzep?  :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

delzep

Quote from: shiny on July 24, 2013, 04:46:15 PM
I got mine in an electrical store on Talbot street, cant remember what I paid but it was far cheaper than the brewing shop.

Weirdly the guy in the shop didn't know about the notch so make sure to double check that they have one.

Whereabouts on talbot st?

Do b&q sell them?

newToBrew

wallace in waterford is where I got mine - not much help if your inside  the pale - but if your really stuck I can get them and post em to ya ????

think they were @ a fiver a piece - not sure - its been a while    :-\
coz theres always something new to do

ColinC

Quote from: newToBrew on July 25, 2013, 12:12:03 AM
wallace in waterford is where I got mine - not much help if your inside  the pale - but if your really stuck I can get them and post em to ya ????

think they were @ a fiver a piece - not sure - its been a while    :-\
Where in waterford is this Wallace place? I'll be in Waterford over the next couple of weeks & could pick them up for Delzep.

Greg2013

I could hit Waterford in the morning and get those if someone tells me where wallaces is?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

newToBrew

Find city square shopping centre - its the only shopping mall in town centre Wallace is across the road - they do bric bracc - electric spares - touch up photos

City squares easy to find and from that you can't miss  wallaces

It s directly across from the river island entrance

Greg2013

I know the place you mean now, used to be a couple of old dears selling farmhouse butter near there ages ago.

newToBrew

Dropped in earlier when I was in town they hadn't got them in stock - didn't say when he'd have em in again - said they were @ 7 quid

Partridge9

Quote from: delzep on July 24, 2013, 04:16:37 PM
Looking for 2 of them with the notches. Tried charlie shiels with no luck. Anywhere else?

Delzep -

This is a C15/C16 IEC cable - its like the common C13/C14 IEC cable, but is rated to 120C rather than 70C ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector#C15.2FC16_coupler )

Do you really need the 120C rating ?

I have to say I have been guilty of cutting notches into the C13/14 cables before.

I can give you a couple of the standard C13/14 if you want them.

Metattron

::) A C13 was not designed for this purpose.  It is not rated for this type of use and should not be used.  Also, it is not just the connector but the cable itself that should be able to carry the correct load for the duration of the boil.  I know some of you may have been using pc leads for years, but check the cable and it will probably be a heavy duty cable.  A cable for a pc with a 1000W+ power supply, which used to be common, would be heavier than a cable for a pc with a 200W supply, which is now common.  PC suppliers will bundle a cable suitable for their needs, not yours.  If you buy a cheap lead and burn your house down, will you turn to your wife and say " At least we saved €5 on the leads" ?  You need a C15 connector for a kettle element, and it need to have a lead capable of carrying the load for an hour or more.  That is why they come up with these standards, to protect you, not to rip you off.  Do we really want the type of press that could be generated when some poor bastard burns himself and says he was told by someone here that it would be fine?  Sorry for the rant but I don't want to sit back and let someone get hurt. 
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Padraic

Quote from: Metattron on July 26, 2013, 10:44:22 PM
::) A C13 was not designed for this purpose.  It is not rated for this type of use and should not be used.  Also, it is not just the connector but the cable itself that should be able to carry the correct load for the duration of the boil.  I know some of you may have been using pc leads for years, but check the cable and it will probably be a heavy duty cable.  A cable for a pc with a 1000W+ power supply, which used to be common, would be heavier than a cable for a pc with a 200W supply, which is now common.  PC suppliers will bundle a cable suitable for their needs, not yours.  If you buy a cheap lead and burn your house down, will you turn to your wife and say " At least we saved €5 on the leads" ?  You need a C15 connector for a kettle element, and it need to have a lead capable of carrying the load for an hour or more.  That is why they come up with these standards, to protect you, not to rip you off.  Do we really want the type of press that could be generated when some poor bastard burns himself and says he was told by someone here that it would be fine?  Sorry for the rant but I don't want to sit back and let someone get hurt.

I fully agree! I don't know what the words all mean but I know that a pc cable is hardly going to contain more than the minimum safe amount of copper required for its purpose.

In other rant news, stop hacking kettles and pay the extra couple of € to get yourself a sealed kettle element from your electrical supplier!