• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 04, 2024, 10:56:37 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NBC 2013 CAT 1 GOLD - The Blood of Revolution

Started by richieh, March 03, 2013, 11:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richieh

March 03, 2013, 11:37:52 PM Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:27:22 PM by admin
"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Here is the recipe for my beer that won category 1 Pale ales and IPAs etc. It is a Hoppy American Amber, it is quite simple and obviously will depend on your water readings etc.

"The Blood Of Revolution"

OG 1.060, FG 1.017, IBU 70

Pale Ale Malt  59%
Crystal 60L    26%
Munich Malt    15%

Mash at 65C 60 mins

Green Bullet, 60 mins for 35 IBU
Galaxy, 15 mins for 30 IBU
Cascade, 2.5G/L 5 mins
Cascade  2.5G/L Steep

Ringwood Yeast (WLP005)

Citra Dry Hop 3G/L 5 days
Citra Dry Hop 2G/L 3 days

Enjoy!
R

Ciderhead

March 03, 2013, 11:58:18 PM #1 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:10:45 AM by Ciderhead
Richie really appreciate this, I have never brewed an IPA before  :o and putting this top of my list.
Thank you so much for sharing.
I am sure mods here will create a section for the 24 recipies that won

richieh

It's not so much an IPA, I had it in the American Amber section. It's hopped like an IPA, but redder, something more like Brewdog's "5am Saint"

Dr Jacoby

Crystal malt producers will love your recipe! Any tips for handling that amount of crystal without it becoming a toffee-caramel fest? Is it just a matter of balance with the hops or did you do anything special with the mash?
Every little helps

richieh

"Any tips for handling that amount of crystal without it becoming a toffee-caramel fest?"

eh, reject one of your assumptions? It was a fairly sugary affair  ;D

I did mash pretty cool in fairness (about 65, maybe 64), so it was probably reasonably fermentable while still finishing high and malty. To be honest, I was looking for that caramel. 5am saint was one of the inspirations behind this. Lots of sugar, lots of hops.

Cathal O D

I was lucky enough to taste this beer as a steward in the mini best of show. Really liked it. Almost a blackcurrant aroma from it.  Is that from the combination of crystal malt and citra hops????

Partridge9

Going to try brewing a 5.5% version of this tomorrow - looks great - and I love 5am Saint by the way !

marzen scorsese

this will be brewed asap i love 5am saint, if anyone has done it and would like to share how they got on id love to hear about it  :)