• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 03, 2024, 05:31:22 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What Keg Is This?

Started by Greg2013, September 15, 2013, 09:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Anybody know what type of keg is this, also what type of attachment is that on top ? Don't have the keg but it has been offered FOC. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

brenmurph

take it,....looks like a king keg they are ok and simple

Greg2013

Quote from: brenmurph on September 15, 2013, 09:47:27 PM
take it,....looks like a king keg they are ok and simple

Will not have it for at least 6 weeks, he reckons it is at least 20 litres capacity ? :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

brenmurph

lid too small to get ur hand in but  a handfullof rice and oxy action wiull leave it gleaminmg inside. B carefull with the tap and change to a standard half inch brass of possible. those taps are a biohazard re brewing as u will see if you look closely at the tap design.
they hold about 6 psi pressure enough for normal / moderate carbonation

Greg2013

Do i carbonate it like i would a bottle and then stick on the co2 ?

rukkus

I have one of these. I use it for holding my crystal malt ;)

brenmurph

Quote from: Greg2013 on September 15, 2013, 09:59:49 PM
Do i carbonate it like i would a bottle and then stick on the co2 ?

because they dont take a lot of presure u can keg condition like u would bottle condition and the small 5 r 6 psi the keg holds will be able to maintain the carbonation in the beer.  Unlike corny kegs u cant force carbonate easily.

If u are using cornys you can modify the  cap easily. go to plumbing shop and tell them u want a 10mm pipe sticking out of the cap with a 10mm lever valve. thatll cost about a tenner and then use john guest quick connectors. I have one plastic keg and thats how ive been doing the co2 system. Sort of manual but cheap and effective

Eoin

It's a budget barrel. I use them and quite like them. Very close to real ale UK style. Not suitable for lagers really as they only take about ten psi.

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

Rossa

I think you might fit 25l into that. I used them before I got cornies. don't over prime or it will leak. You can also get an attachment to hook it to a proper co2 bottle.

Will_D

I still use these. They are rated at max 10 psi. They are not "King Kegs"

You can get an adapter for the S20 (Hambletton Bard refillable cylinders)

Now mine are just hooked into the CO2 board at about 6 psi.

Nice and Simples!

You can also bore out the screw cap and fit an airlock!

Cleaning: Length of 3/8" brass chain and your favourite cleaner!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

I am leaning towards turning this into a fv for "other than beer" brews such as fruit wines and normal wines just to keep the two in different FVs.