• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 04, 2024, 06:29:59 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Banana Wine From Lidl Juice.

Started by Greg2013, October 06, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Just put on a gallon of my banana wine from lidl banana nectar juice and i may have created some fall down stuff this time. Its basically 4 litres of Lidl banana nectar juice plus 1kg table sugar and i use a wine yeast. Last time it came out like a banana liquer, bloody lovely but sweet and strong.

FYI because its basically pulped banana juice you will loose AT LEAST 30-40% of volume between primary and bottling due to settling of suspended solids.

http://prntscr.com/1vmooe
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

October 06, 2013, 04:11:43 PM #1 Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:41:07 PM by Greg2013
This one requires a lot of patience and numerous different decanting days. ::)

Expect it to be at least 2 months before you can start supping this ???

Also if you do this place your demijohn in a bucket as it WILL blow out and keep blowing out for a while. Also you will only get 25% yield maximum on this so don't expect much :D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

LordEoin

Yeah, it's banana pulp, so you'll lose a lot of it to semi-solids.

Greg2013

Quote from: LordEoin on October 06, 2013, 08:59:41 PM
Yeah, it's banana pulp, so you'll lose a lot of it to semi-solids.

Maximum and i do mean maximum 25% volume yield of finished product on this but i tell ya what, in my opinion it is so worth it,in a twist off bottle it will keep for ages in the fridge, on the rocks it is smashing ;D

Damofto

sounds tasty Greg I might try this, what sort of abv are you getting?

Col

Sounds good, Greg - but would you consider fermenting it for a few days in a bucket, and then straining off the puree into a demijohn? It might be less wasteful and, dare I say it, even more vertically challenging?
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

Greg2013

Quote from: Damofto on October 06, 2013, 09:15:49 PM
sounds tasty Greg I might try this, what sort of abv are you getting?

If i remember rightly the last batch was 16% abv or 18% maybe, made no notes on that one.

Quote from: Col on October 07, 2013, 12:45:29 AM
Sounds good, Greg - but would you consider fermenting it for a few days in a bucket, and then straining off the puree into a demijohn? It might be less wasteful and, dare I say it, even more vertically challenging?

Actually Col now that you mention it i think i did that the last time. I may do that tomorrow when i get home.

Eoin

16-18% what yeast did you use? Must have been a champagne variety.

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

Greg2013

Quote from: Eoin on October 07, 2013, 08:43:32 AM
16-18% what yeast did you use? Must have been a champagne variety.

TT

Last time it was lavin ec-1118, this time I used sn-9 wine yeast from vintners harvest.

Eoin

Is the banana pulp standard in Lidl?

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

Greg2013

Quote from: Eoin on October 07, 2013, 10:16:08 AM
Is the banana pulp standard in Lidl?

TT

No it is very hit and miss so i will be making a bigger buy this week if there is any left.